SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

New power line just got put up.

docmom_gw
8 years ago

Less than 100 yards from my house, they must have brought in huge machines while we were at work. They opened a wide strip through scrubby growth that had been there for at least 20 years, put up "telephone poles" and wires and were gone. So, now I have a HUGE clean slate just begging for some intensive guerrilla gardening. I'm looking for suggestions.

First, are there environmental groups who look for such opportunities, who might have some resources available to make this a truly viable undertaking?

Second, I assume the utility company maintains these areas in some manner. So, if they are going to mow twice a year, it doesn't make sense for me to plant native trees.

Third, I assume there are some legal issues, but I won't do anything to cause trouble.

The site is kind of unique in that it runs through the storm run-off of a sizable commercial region. So, it has lots of swampy, moist spots and a creek that runs through most of the year. Last evening I walked from my road along the power line to where the ground got too soft for them to have brought the big machines through. I'm not sure how they did the rest. When the ground starts to get soft, the soil they dug up is an amazing deep, rich, black. There are already signs of Joe Pye weed or Boneset or similar plants growing that must have been there already.

So, should I try to call some environmental group, and if so do you know who? Should I just throw down some annual seed to get something growing? Wait until fall? I will definitely collect seeds from the natives I have growing in my yard and direct sow them as they ripen. I guess I'll try to contact the utility company to see what the maintanence plan will be. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Martha

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz