SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Color variations in flooring: Am I making a mistake?

marvelousmarvin
8 years ago

What's your opinion about hardwood floors with a lot of color variations in them? Do you see that color variation as a sign of a lower grade hardwood?

I'm worried that I'll be making a mistake if I hardwood, specifically hickory, that will have a lot of color variations.

I need new flooring for a rather large living room for my rental, and I've been looking for a hardwood that would be durable and stand up to a pet in case somebody snuck one in.

From what I've read, hickory hardwood seems like it might be the best choice to do that- its got a high janka rating that's higher than oak and its got a strong grain to hide scratches.

But, for whatever reason, unstained hickory boards have a pretty distinctive look with color variations in the boards and between boards where it can look almost striped:

To me, I'm not sure if such a look would be neutral enough. And, I've heard that hickory being described as 'rustic'. Do you think that rusticity would clash with a coastal casual look for my rental that's a short walk to the beach?

I've seen some stained hickory flooring, which minimizes that strong color variation but there's still color variation lurking somewhere. At the store, they had 5 hickory boards on display with 4 with similar color but the fifth one had this blotchy area with a color that was distinct from the other 4 boards.

Before opening a pallet, how do I know how much color variation will there be among the boards?

Once you open that box, you're stuck with all the boards? Otherwise, why wouldn't you go through the box and pick out the boards with all the similar color tone and return the rest? I don't know why nobody does that with hickory and separate the hickory into dark and light hickory piles to sell to customers.

Comments (26)