SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizht

Am I making a mistake refacing our cabinets?

elizht
last year

I’ve been pretty busy on these forums lately as we’re working toward a kitchen refacing project. Really appreciate everyone’s thoughtful advice! I’m reaching the ”second guessing” stage of our project and could use some reassurance (or tough love, if needed).

I’ve paid the cabinet refacer (who has been great through this process and is reputable) a $2500 deposit. We chose refacing because the cabinet doors are in terrible shape, but the boxes are wood and are sturdy. This is not our ”forever home” and we absolutely do not have the budget for gutting the kitchen. I don’t like the layout (esp. the cooktop in peninsula), but changing the layout would require refinishing the wood floors in the kitchen, dining and living room, and moving gas, electrical, ducting, etc. I also don’t think we could get a materially different layout due to the location of various rooms around the kitchen.

However, after spending weeks analyzing our kitchen, I’m seeing that the cabinet boxes are shoddy workmanship. They’re sturdy, but the plywood bottoms are a mess. The sink cabinet isn’t totally centered under the window, there are awkward gaps and trim, some uppers were installed over window molding, and I’m starting to wonder whether they were totally DIYed. The refacer can fix some of this, but the costs are starting to really add up. We’re looking at $14K for refacing the cabinets, including several modifications we’ve requested for functionality. This doesn’t include countertops, backsplash, etc.

My question is… should I just get new cabinets? Is that worth doing when you’re keeping the layout the same? Or would we just be throwing more money at a bad kitchen? I think they would have to be fully custom to fit to where the floor is finished and give us the functionality we desire. I’d also have wasted the $2500 deposit. Again, I really like the cabinet refacer, but I’m worried there’s only so much he can do with what we have.

Attaching a few pics but keep in mind these are real estate listing photos and make the kitchen look MUCH better than it is.

Thank you!

Comments (38)