SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Buyer's Remorse - am I making a HUGE mistake?

Anglophilia
8 years ago

Several months ago, I posted pictures of my kitchen with the question of whether or not to re-do it. Nearly all thought I should not, and I decided I agreed. But it kept nagging at me, and finally this winter, I went into a local kitchen/bath shop and talked to the owner. Yes, they COULD do a new kitchen for me on my budget...if I kept my existing white Corian countertops and integrated sink, my appliances, my existing hardwood floor, and didn't add much lighting and no plumbing involved. I contacted two more companies/cabinet builders - multiple cancelled appt's and no-shows, so I only had a bid from this one company. They've been in business a LONG time and I'm very happy with the owner/KD.

My kitchen is small - 11 x 15. I cannot tear down walls, both due to cost and I also like the adjacent rooms (formal dining room which ai adore and use) and breakfast room with builtins I must keep for storage. So, no knocking down walls, blowing out the back etc. I must live with the space I have.

The biggest problem is where to put the refrigerator. It is a counter-top depth, side-by-side KA, which I like very much - it is 36" wide. It's present location is where the refrigerator in this kitchen has always been - on the wall with the stove. The problem is the entry next to it from the back hall - the entry used the most often. There is only 24" between the edge of the cabinet on the diagonal wall and the front of the refrig. When I'm at the sink, I cannot see anything but the top of the door frame. There are only two other places it can go. The KD initially thought it should go next to the door into the DR. I didn't like that (when I did a cardboard mock-up!) as it cut my view of a nice expanse of countertop and I also lost my empty bottom cabinet which I use as a dog den - that is a deal breaker as there was no other good place for such and it is a necessity.

So, that left the wall diagonal from where it now is. It's a trade-off -- no more physical space, but it does open up the kitchen when one is inside and gives me a nice 60" countertop next to the stove instead of the present 24" one. No, I don't like seeing the side of the refrig cabinet when walking down the backhall from the library, but I dislike that less than the way it is presently. A trade-off.

So, what is my problem? I started off wanting a gray and white kitchen. I really prefer all white kitchens but this room is a full west exposure with a huge bay window and I'd have to wear dark glasses from 4-8PM in the spring/summer/fall, the glare off the white would be so great. The problem is that the Shiloh cabinets (he only carries Mauser and Shiloh and Mauser is too expensive) in Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, come across as "greige", not gray. I'm hopeful that perhaps when they're all installed they gray will be more dominant but it may or may not be. A custom color was too expensive as was having them handprinted (my preference).

The other "problem" is that I still end up with the microwave and the toaster oven living on the countertop - simply no place else to put them. I did buy a MUCH smaller microwave but it's as 700 watt piece of garbage. Yes, I DO need both!

One thing I have learned from this process is that there is a difference between designing a kitchen for appliances and from designing one for what must go INSIDE cabinets. After nearly 50 years, I have a LOT of dishes and cooking things. Yes, I HAVE edited it but I want what is left and that means I can't just stick the microwave in an upper cabinet - I need that space for dishes etc. I am loathe to give up my pot rack. First, it has HUGE sentimental value - I well remember buying it at age 25 for my first house and feeling very french and Julia Childish - and I love the convenience of reaching up for my most used pans.

Contract is signed but cabinets are not yet ordered so I might be able to back out. KD is coming to do a couple of last measurements tomorrow at 3PM EDT and once these are ordered, I own them.

Here is the layout.

My refrigerator/stove/hood do not look like drawings - today's software does not include 1948 stoves! They look like this:

The soffits are now gone and I have a new ceiling - had that done in Feb. Added another pot light over problem corner and that at least makes it less dark.

I'm just worried that my kitchen will end up looking ordinary and generic - at least it had character before. I almost backed out last week when I went to sign contract and write check, but with soffits gone, it would have cost me at least $3000-4000 to put soffits back over existing cabinets, have them re-painted (I painted two Repose Gray to see how I liked it!), and build an inclosure for the hood vent pipe. That was in addition to the $2000 I have already spent on removing the soffits and the new ceiling. It didn't seem like a good thing to do. I "crossed the Rubicon" when I had those soffits removed!

I am well aware that I have overthought this entire thing. I had hoped to keep tile on stove wall - it works with the cabinets but makes them more "greige" as it's bone not white. I will have to get new wallpaper and am finding it difficult to find something that works. I had planned on getting a new box bay window that was level with the countertop behind the sink and painting the muntins black to resemble a steel window. The window guy's "ballpark" was off by $7000 so that's not happening! I will still be painting the muntins black on existing bay.

My house is in a highly desirable neighborhood in my city. It was the cheapest house on the block and still is. Expectations of luxury are high for buyers, so high-end appliances/finishes are expected. Not everyone does Subzero however. My refrig and hood meet expectations and stove adds vintage interest. There is lovely hardwood floor and DW, while older, is same as today's KA style. Faucet is Perrin & Rowe and now ridiculously expensive - glad I bought it 13 years ago! I have excellent lighting - high end under cabinet lighting and pots in ceiling. No place or interest in pendants!

I need a new backsplash behind stove and under cabinets. I'm quit taken with the look of Neolith but finding a local distributor has been a "unicorn search" and I think the cost is prohibitive. No, not willing to replace countertops due to cost and fact that marble is too high maintenance and Neolith too expensive as is quartz, plus I ADORE my integrated sink.

Tomorrow is the point of no return. Any ideas? Should I just take a deep breath and wait and see what it looks like with the cabinets up? Did I mention that I'm a designer and NEVER indecisive!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath