SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megamorph

I find myself here again: Need heavy duty washer

megamorph
8 years ago

I really start to feel ill when I consider the amount of money that I've wasted on "energy star" residential HE washing machines (otherwise known as junk) over the last 15 years. Joined GW 11 years ago and have still not been able to determine a proper solution. Here's my journey in a nutshell:

After having the basic GE $500 TL machines, I purchased the latest and greatest (at the time) Samsung HE FL. I found these to be terrible in nearly every way and after an electronic problem a year or so into their life, I gave them away. I then purchased the GE Harmony TL set. About 2 years into the Harmony set, the washer needed a $700 repair. I was semi-satisfied with the wash performance of the Harmony, so after much discussion and reading on GW, I decided the Harmony was still the best option available. So, I bought Harmony set #2 (with extended warranty this time), which were the updated models and the last models before they were discontinued. Now, the Harmony washer has again died. And the dryer isn't dead, but it too has problems.

So, here I am again.

We foster rescued dogs and demand more from our machines than the typical HE washer is capable of handling these days. We often wash dog bedding, comforters, blankets, crate pads, large loads of towels, etc. It's imperative that any machine I purchase use non-HE levels of water, especially top loaders. The Harmony could fill the tub on certain settings, but it did not clean very well. I was recently shocked at how much better a Wascomat machine at the laundromat cleaned a blanket that I've been washing every week in the Harmony. When it came out of the Wascomat, it was so much cleaner that it looked like a different blanket.

Previously, I've always been opposed to a TL with a center post agitator. I like the large open tub without the agitator taking up space, as it helps with dog beds. However, I'm now starting to think I could deal with the agitator if I had to.

So, cost is no object. I'm determined to make a better decision this time around and am willing to pay for it. Here's what I'm considering at this point:

-- Speed Queen TL

-- Miele (Little Giant, Octoplus)

-- Laundrylux Crossover

-- A true commercial Wascomat

The Ocotoplus seems like the obvious choice, but I'm not sure how I could get around the non-residential use policy of Miele. I have an appropriate business that I could purchase it through, then have it moved to my home by a third party, but what happens when it needs service?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County