SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkpeel628

What am I doing? Bermuda lawn

kkpeel628
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I built a new home, finished this past winter. Lived with rye grass all winter long. Finally spring is here! I've completed all the tractor work, installed the beds, planted the plants... Now yard time!

I planted 100lbs of bermuda. I edged the home with 12ish feet of centipede sod for clean edges. I know bermuda is invasive so I wanted to keep it away from my beds. I installed a rock/metal border to give me a roundup buffer. Anyways, it's a mix of topsoil (what I didn't scrape away while building) and red/tanish/grey clay. My bermuda isn't doing super well despite lots of rain and irrigating. I planted 4 weeks ago. Spread out like a bunch of hay bails. Ide say maybe 50 percent is germinated and I can see sprouts. About 2 percent is very very tall. My soil is pretty compacted. I haven't read too much but some spots only allowed a half inch of phillips screw driver info the ground. Other areas were fine. Anyways, I aerated yesterday bc I decided the ground was compacted so... It's done. I have a plugger in the mail and I plan on plugging the entire yard now. Oh and I'm going tomorrow to shampoo the yard :) I'm impatient... Should the bermuda seed be growing faster?

Comments (9)