SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dubs44

How do i remove 'sewer gas' from our laundry?

Dubs
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Recently our washing machine started to wreak of a sewer smell (like rotten eggs), particularly during rinse cycles. Dry laundry started to smell musty. I didn't pay much attention at first, and continued doing laundry as normal.

Suddenly I wasn't able to sleep in clean bed sheets anymore.. I was breathing heavily, experiencing insomnia, and having headaches. Wearing clothes also gives me a headache. Panicky, I eventually discovered the smell was the result of a sewer gas.

Wikipedia: "Sewer gas is a complex mixture of toxic and nontoxic gases produced and collected in sewage systems by the decomposition of organic household or industrial wastes, typical components of sewage. Sewer gases may include hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen oxides. Sewer gases are of concern due to their odor, health effects, and potential for creating fire or explosions."

It seems the water trap (p-trap) that prevents sewer gas from entering the washer was not filling quickly enough, and was allowing the gas to enter. I cleaned out the washer's drain hose, it was extremely filthy.. endless amounts of brown algae gunk inside. The sewer gas seems to have completely dissipated, it no longer seems present during rinse cycles. I swear i get whiffs of it here and there, but i may be inadvertently trying to smell for something that's not there anymore.

Still, washing laundry in detergent hasn't stopped the headaches or removed the musty odor from the laundry, and i need ideas. I've thought about using baking soda to absorb any leftover odors, but will baking soda alone neutralize the associated health effects too?

I feel so defeated.

Comments (12)