SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshd84

sewer gas smell coming from drain in basement

joshd84
15 years ago

hello...I am not very good in the plumbing field but I will try to be as specific as possible.

I have lived in an old home (built in 1920's) for about 2 years. I am going to describe two incidents that may or may not be related About a year ago we noticed a strong sewer gas smell coming from the basement. We looked in the basement and noticed that sewage had backed up from the drain in the floor. We had a plumber come out and they "roto-rooted" the cutout as they said there was some blockage in our sewer pipe or something that was in the basement. We haven't had an issue like that happen since.

Now, when we turn on our a/c in summer and the heat in winter, we notice a strong sewer gas smell circulating throughout the house, which I believe is originating from the basement. Just today I stuck my nose into this same drain (the one where the sewage backed up) and smelled the strong sewer gas odor. There is a pipe that runs from our a/c (which is in the basement) into this drain...I am assuming it is to remove condensation. Now, there is also a hole of some sort in this drain...not where the water drains...but a larger hole kind of on the side of this drain. When the a/c runs...air blows out of this whole and stinks of sewer gas.

I read on some other forums that the "trap" may be dry. I am not even sure if this is a trap...but there was some stagnet water in there. So when I added some more water into this trap (which I orginally thought would fix this problem)...it basically drained everything out...which I thought was not supposed to happen. So i poured some bleach down there as well and that seemed to stop the odor temporarily...but i don't know if it will last.

Any thoughts about this hole on the side of the drain? Can it be plugged up?

Thank you very much for any help!!!!

Comments (5)