SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minisoda

Inspection about to kill our home sale

Mini Soda
9 years ago

What a roller coaster it has been over the past week. My wife did a fantastic job staging our house and we have spent around $70k on improvements/upgrades/upkeep over the past six years. The house is in fantastic condition. As a result, we went on the market at 2pm, had seven showings the first day (well into the evening) and 5 offers by the next day (over asking price).

Fast forward one week to the inspection. The inspector noted a vertical crack in the poured foundation wall of the basement. We hadn't noticed it in the past, and it's also worth noting that we have NEVER had a drop of water in the basement. As far as I can tell, the sump has never run in six years that we've been here.

We haven't been able to obtain an actual copy of the inspection report yet, but apparently the buyer has serious concerns as the inspector noted that the foundation may be sinking in one corner of the house (built in '98). He also said the same about the garage, which is mind boggling because the garage has one hairline crack across it, but is completely even and drains perfectly out the door when I spray it down. This finding actually has me questioning this inspector's entire report.

We had a contractor out and he said it was difficult to tell if the foundation had settled in that corner. We haven't had any other structural issues like cracks, doors, not closing, uneven floors, etc...

To make it even more frustrating, the buyer can't get a hold of the inspector. We have multiple backup offers and need to keep the process moving! If there is truly an issue, we will pay to have it fixed prior to the sale, but having a hard time defining what the problem actually is. The crack in the floor and wall of our basement are both hairline cracks.

Has anyone been through a similar situation? How do we get a true unbiased and REALISTIC opinion from a qualified professional? In my experience, I've seen a couple of inspectors that were just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous.

Sure appreciate any feedback...

Comments (40)