SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Dutch apple or crisp topping

l pinkmountain
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I like pies with the crumble topping and also for crisps and muffins, but I can never seem to get it to turn out the way I like it, it is always too dry and powdery. Does anyone have a good recipe or some "tried and true" techniques they can pass on? The pie I made today is OK but the topping is too powdery. Plus it made twice as much as I needed. I made it in the food processor but I also have a pastry blender that I use.

Crumble topping

1/4 cup walnuts

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup quick cooking oats

3/4 cup butter

1/4 tsp. salt

Combine dry ingredients in food processor. Pulse briefly to mix. Add butter in one inch chunks. Pulse intermittently until butter is incorporated and is the size of split peas. (Note: This topping looked very dry to me. I debated about adding more butter but it already seemed like a lot so I figured it was incorporated in there, just finely.)

Second note: Oy vey I just read the end of the recipe and apparently you were supposed to press half of it into the pie pan for the bottom crust and then use the rest for the top. Just as well, I had one pie crust left for the bottom, and I am going to use the leftovers for rhubarb crisp later this week. But next time I would like a better recipe.

Comments (7)