SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

I'm on a countertop/backsplash roller coaster...

kelleg69
9 years ago

Anyone want to come along? Yesterday, I posted that I had chosen my granite for a vacation condo in FL. After a couple of bouts of doubt, I backed out of the granite. It was just too busy and I was having to bend my vision to the granite. So, I went back to the drawing board. My Pinterest and Houzz boards mainly show light countertops, white cabinets and interesting backsplash. So, after going to three tile places today, ending up at a fantastic designer tile place, I brought home about 10 samples. Here is the one that I think I am leaning towards. I would love comments. I will also post a couple others...

This one picks up a lot of the colors from our ocean view.

This shows the tile with cabinet and couch fabric (whole condo is open, so fabrics need to work with kitchen). Little sample is a possible quartz. It has speckles. Also looking at plainer quartzes.

Here is the view from our condo

Comments (99)

• Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

Looks like you've gone back to color choices similar to the first tile which was so popular on this thread. I hope you're still considering that one...it is drop dead gorgeous, and I like it even more with this new quartz you've found. How about a picture with those two choices together...just for laughs? If you don't like the traditional subway pattern you could stack the tile to make it a little different...

• Jillius
    8 years ago
  • Related Discussions

Looking for info on a sliding backsplash that conceals appliances

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow, what a nifty idea! I have never really objected to having my appliances in sight but it can become cluttered, especially with cords and other things that tend to accumulate. I just posted a response to someone asking about backsplash material and I suggested using laminate flooring with a tile design. It makes a nice durable backsplash without the issues of dirty grout but you do have to be careful how you install it in wetted areas. I guess one could cut a couple of pieces to size and install them on a double track like patio doors. There is bound to be some hardware out there for protecting and concealing the cut edges and to provide some kind of rollers to reduce friction. Hope this helps your brainstorming. I'm remodeling my kitchen now and it sure gave me some ideas to ponder.
    ...See More

Backsplash dilemma - WWYD?

Q

Comments (13)
    A good tiler can still hide many counter not-being-flush sins, up to about 3/4" if not a bit more. They can backbutter the tiles, that is, build up the mortar behind the tiles to compensate. Don't sweat about finding thicker tile! But as others say, it's not a crime to have the short countertop-material backsplash, either. :-) Why don't you have them deliver it but not install it, until such time as you've decided whether you want it or not? It's really just a matter of using an epoxy glue and sticking the thing on, as long it's already measured etc.
    ...See More

Need cabinet color/counter top help

Q

Comments (19)
    terrilynn, I am confused about what to do for the island and also the desk/coffee bar/bar area. I'm going back and forth on wood or soapstone for the island. I'm pretty sure I want wood on the desk and soapstone on the bar/coffee area. (just for maintenance purposes). I'm not sure if I do the base colors on the other areas the same as the island or different. We aren't doing any stainless except for the range, but that desk is pretty cool! Lavender, thanks, and I love the idea of red accents. I hadn't really thought that far, but that will be perfect and will blend with the rest of our house. I guess I need to figure out if I can really do the painted island and how much maintenance that will be. Here are my options, in case anyone else is as confused as I am: 1. Wood colored island with soapstone top 2. Sage/light green island with soapstone top 3. Sage/light green island with wood top Desk: something with a wood top....I'm thinking base should match the island, unless of course the island base is wood tone, and then it would either match the yellow cabinets or the coffee bar area. Coffee bar/bar: definitely soapstone top- either yellow cabinets like the rest of the kitchen, green, or wood colored. I'm even confusing myself, so if anyone is following this, I'm impressed, and thank you for any thoughts!
    ...See More

Backsplash for Sea Pearl Quartzite - Help!!

Q

Comments (19)
    lmgch - I remember your kitchen; so beautiful! Your backsplash is lovely. I recall it's from Porcelanosa, correct? I considered getting a sample when you posted your reveal, but we have no Porcelanosa dealers in my state. I do like that there is a pattern in yours; it adds a nice touch. herbflavor - I understand what you're saying. Agree that we need something that pulls it all together. My concern about mosaics is that they are trendy (of course, the same could be said about white subways with gray grout). eam44 - I loved the Fireclay Hydrangea immediately. My search actually began with glass and glass mosaics. The Sea Pearl evokes feelings of coastal, so I thought glass might work. I almost went with the green glass mosaic below, then thought glass in general would be too trendy. I want something unique (I know...subways are not!) that is neutral enough to not steal the show from the Sea Pearl. I had ruled these out (marble - too bathroomy?, glass - too trendy?)...maybe I should revisit. So unsure!!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Blue!!!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

i wonder if sould someone photoshop the tiles?
    Or maybe even more of a pain: Could you make color photocopies of possible contenders and pin them up as backsplash?
    I think your first choice is a bit more modern than the geometric patterns; the sparkly, iridescent ones may be a bit much after some time; I personally also like the white with green, but it's quite different.Of the ones you posted, I think the rhombus tiles are cool, nice shape, beach colors but not a beachy "theme."

I mean the good news is that your choices are pretty much all in the same direction, so you know that that's what you like.

• steph2000
    8 years ago

Lunesta Bay actually has quite a few beachy tiles. I tried to take some pics from their slide show, but it won't seem to let me. Here's the show, though. http://lunadabaytile.com

I'm still very partial to the first tile, though the Heath Ceramics mini-tiles that are stacked appeal to me every time I see that pic with the graduated blues. Something about it appeals to the part of me that loves the primitive, chunky, earthy cottage vibe, which it evokes in me and I've always loved. Seems like a lot more grout, though, and smaller scale. I also like the first of the bluish gray wide hex tiles that you posted, though it is pretty shiny. Those shapes appeal to me a lot and I haven't ruled out some kind of hex on my range wall of tile. It seems they MIGHT go with a 50's updated ranch vibe?

• Gracie
    8 years ago

I don't think the fabric works with the bold tile. I picture your LR in nautical blue but then your kitchen shifts jarringly into a bold blue-green. The styles conflict too--traditional nautical stripe with hot Caribbean tile. It's an odd meshing of Cape Cod with Cancun. You need more consistency in a small condo. I think you're right to bring some white in with softer blues if you're sticking with the fabric. I also like the more playful shapes to make it fun and beachy.

• beth09
    8 years ago

" Maybe you guys are right...go back to first one...????"

I would in a heartbeat. To me, it's just stunning.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, back on the roller coaster. I am back to the very first tile idea that i ever saw. I loved it from the get go. My neighbor told me to go for it. I am really considering. It is a glass pattern. The board I saw is green/white. I would do blue/white. I have seen samples of many of their blues, but not all. The shop has ordered samples of a few more blues, but if I did it today, it would be the blue below. I mocked up a bunch so I could try it out. Am I crazy to do this in my small kitchen? My friend thinks it will be a wow factor. I do love it... and want something that makes my heart sing, but am I crazy?

green/white board

my mockup from photocopies, the bottom right corner is the board with the blue taped on (from photocopy). So, all of the white is brighter in real life and the blue is prettier--see the diff colors in the green? It is like that too-not solid.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mock up of tile with our view, art and the actual blue tile next to it...

• amg765
    8 years ago

I don't think it's crazy at all. It looks nice. It has the things you said you wanted (It's not solid blue, it ties in with the white cabinets), and you've gone to the trouble of mocking it up like that and you still love it. I say go for it ;)

• beth09
    8 years ago

" I am back to the very first tile idea that I ever saw. I loved it from the get go." "I do love it... and want something that makes my heart sing"

I believe you have answered your own question. Honestly? Life is short, and anything that can bring a little joy into someones life should be seized if possible. Who cares if any of us like it, it's not our kitchen. It's yours. You love it. Go for it. ;)

• rebunky
    8 years ago

When you find it making your heart sing like none of the others, well then I say go for it too! It does go with all your art beautifully.

But, before you order, I would first tape up all those copies of the tile around the backsplash. Live with it for a few days. If you love it more and more with each day, then you will know without a doubt it is THE ONE!

• fatherdowling
    8 years ago

It is quite striking. Does your husband like that one? I think because it's a vacation house by the beach you can get way with whatever you want.

Now Im in beachy backsplash heaven.

• beth09
    8 years ago

rebunky does make a good point about "trying it out".

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

fatherdowling, I have looked at all of those tiles except the top one. Where is that from? I do think I should try it out for a while. A little while ago today, I saw this photo which I found interesting. Ugh. I keep going back and forth. See the photo below that piqued my interest--which is "solid," but I guess the color is appealing-- and then the photo below it that I DON'T want my backsplash to look like...

Below is what I don't want, not that it is ugly or anything (it is nice), just not the feel I want--and I think my choice may look like this:

• fatherdowling
    8 years ago

I found it on pinterest but I think it's http://edgewaterstudio.com/collections/ they have a lot of beautiful ideas.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will check it out. I have been on that site. Thanks.

• amg765
    8 years ago

If you post a picture of your mockup board with good light, not at an angle, I bet someone can photoshop it for you. I can try but I wouldn't be able to do it for a few days. You might also try posting a request on design dilemma on HOUZZ - they have people with mad photoshop skills over there.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

That dark blue swirly glass (while it is pretty) I will be honest and say that against the white is going to look more like the second picture than the first.... :-(

If that is what you don't want, but still love the pattern, can you try one of these colors that you posted earlier? They are much softer.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rebunky, I am kind of thinking you are right and that I am going to end up with the second pic. I got all these tiles too and mocked up and just didn't love them. I thought the bright blue would be my last choice, but I ended up not liking the others That being said, I am not a huge fan of aqua. I am getting samples of a few more blue options. Here is a pic of the other shades mocked up.

We do like that soft blue color, but I don't think it is right for the beach place. Not enough oomph...

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These two pics also appealed to me today and made me question. Keep in mind that our place is mainly painted white, so I wanted to add color to the kitchen in the tile, but one of these is white. I wanted vibrant, but for some reason this white/carrerra one appeals. Finally, one kitchen that I continue to revisit that has blue tile (#3 in my series of photos below).

And, another question: Is it dated to do an accent behind backsplash? I am kind of thinking about that now--it was my original thought and it is what I have in my home kitchen. It would bring a pop of color without being too overwhelming.

At the end is another pic of my mockup. You can see my home accent behind it. I realize I am CRAZY. Feel free to jump off this ride at anytime...!

More inspiration from today--one was in a recent thread asking for the name.

• huruta
    8 years ago

I know home pictures don't turn out as well as professional ones but we went through a similar gut wrenching process and came out with a very simple light blue/gray subway tile after weeks of torture. I just felt the star and arabesque patterns overwhelmed things, esp. our range which is really the star of the show. I'm very happy with how it turned out. It was hard to find a tile to go with our lemon chiffon cake paint color - white should be much easier. Anyway, here we go and good luck with your decision!

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · More Info

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · More Info

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

huruta, glad I am not the only one! yours did turn out very well, and you are correct that you have a beautiful range. You were smart to let it shine. Thanks for the input.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Re. mock-up: Can you take a picture from a distance?
    That said, I love that blue and white tile, and would even reconsider the light blue.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

You probably saw these already. They may be a little too "beach house themed". But I think the first wave one is beautiful. I was thinking what if you painted your tray ceiling that azure blue color you love, something like this but obviously w/o the weird gold sun lights or whatever those are. :-p

Here's blue and white in a coral pattern. Hey it is beachy right? Haha!

And this one reminds me of Van Gogh

Sorry, not to add more confusion. Just playing around. But I am really beginning to fall in love with that deep ocean blue color now. I might do a combo of it mixed with my favorite turquoise in my masterbath....someday.

How's the roller coaster tile ride going today? Is your heart still singing at the last blue and white flower design now that you have had it taped up for a day? Where did you find that one btw? I haven't run across it in any of my gazillion tile searches. It really is a gorgeous color.

• beth09
    8 years ago

" We do like that soft blue color, but I don't think it is right for the beach place. Not enough oomph..."

I'd say that depends on what you want your beach house to be. Party time or rest and relaxation? If it's the latter, the light blue would be just fine.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My husband likes more serene, but I think brighter, pops of color. It is almost always sunny there--bright vibrant colors, not the soft, gray whitewashed feel...that seems more New England/Cape Cod to me. At least what I want our place to be...Here is one idea of a look I like for our space (do note the blue backsplash!). We have white walls and will have pops of color and dark floors like this. I would like more pops of color than this, but it is an inspiration.

Tropical Dining Room · More Info

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rebunky, I just saw your post. I like those. I do have the coral one pinned! I don't think I can pull the trigger on the blue/white daisy pattern (Kaleidoscope glass; style is elliptical; the website is gridsurfaces.com, I think). I will see when the other blue samples come in, but I do think it might be too busy. I went to another tile shop today (I am not getting much laundry done with all this tile searching going on!). This place has Walker Zanger and Sonoma. Looked at those. Also at Oceanside. Didn't take any tile samples home :(

Also, where did you find the wave tile? I have a diff one pinned. I like the idea.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, one more. Does anyone know what this tile is? There is a WZ like it--Contessa in silver leaf, but this looks more blue...

Kenwood Cottage · More Info

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Should I consider this? I keep going back to the pics of WZ Ashbury in powder blue. I have seen the color in real life and it is more flat than it is in the pics. And it is really baby blue. The pics look great, though. Maybe it is better en masse.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just found this pic that was an early inspiration. I don't love the distress on the white field tile, but I like the pop of color behind stove and the pops of color with the plates, etc.

Old Florida Home · More Info

• Jillius
    8 years ago

I am getting the sense that you like a sort of soft, shimmery look. A bit like water. Because of this, you seem to like glass tiles in particular because they offer both that bit of shine and swirls/variation in the color of each tile that sort of mimic water. You also like tiles where all the tiles are slightly different hues from each other -- again a bit of color variation. As long as not everything is the same color through-and-through.

What you seem to not like is solid colors with no or little color variation within the tile or from tile to tile. On top of that, you're not a big fan of high contrast. This is why you don't like that geometric pattern tile (a potent blue contrasting highly with white, plus both the blue and white are solid colors), and this is also why you generally don't like an all dark blue tile backsplash because it is too much contrast with your cabinets.

Based on that, what if you did this one with pale blue glass where the white is and white where the gold glass is?

http://edgewaterstudio.com/portfolio/sand-dollar-2/

It is very similar to your favorite one, but this one would be majority blue with only dots of white here and there as opposed to the more high contrast 50/50 color split in your mock-up. So what I am suggesting is slightly softer version of your favorite, since everything else you've posted as really liking is quite soft and shimmery.

kelleg69 thanked Jillius
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jillius, thanks so much for all the time and thought you put into the post. I think you are right on many counts. I just looked at that Edgewater tile. It is really lovely. Great idea. I will definitely think about this. And, again, thank you!

• Jillius
    8 years ago

Happy to help!

• amykath
    8 years ago

Modern Bungalow · More Info

I had saved this photo for a question just like this. I just loved the blue tiles!

kelleg69 thanked amykath
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

kelleg, I admire your stamina! I'm worn out just reading this thread. :) This is why so many people end up with white subway backsplashes. Which, BTW, can be a lovely neutral canvas.

I am not a blue person, but I really like the first tile, esp. since you don't have a huge expanse to fill. But. Do you have to do the BS now? Can you wait till everything else is done? This thread reminds me of when I start second-guessing on an outfit to wear and then I don't like any of my choices and all my clothes end up strewn on the floor.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I think that the wave mosaics were from Ann Sacks.

All us TKO understand how hard it is to make the backsplash chioce. I have been looking for so long, my husband is threatening to just put the 3" granite piece and paint. :-)

I have seen threads on here that have hit the maximum # of responses with mock ups of dozens of tiles. Then they had to have a part 2 and then a part 3! I think they still never decided after all that. I think you are narrowing it down. Hang in there, you will find "it".

• cindywhitall
    8 years ago

Did you consider going more neutral/ white but putting a pop of something behind the stove? That way if you want to change the accent you could do it without demoing the whole backsplash

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes! I am going back to the idea of an accent. I think it would be a nice focal point for the kitchen. I had another thread on my backsplash before this one and I mentioned a piece of art that I would love to somehow hang behind the stove. Not sure that will work, but love the idea of the pop of color. I am also now considering a wood hood with a mantle shelf. Could put something decorative there. Thanks for all the input.
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the art that I would love to incorporate--there are lots of options (sizes, different color ways, etc.). It is by Kelly Tracht from Jupiter, FL. I could put the painting on my mantle hood (might be doing wood hood instead of the stainless) and do something like the example below for backsplash (from Calling it Home blog)...

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just found this this AM. Love it. I need to get a mosaic behind stove. Any idea who can do that? I know New Ravenna. Maybe that is where I should start.
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I wanted to attach this one too. Shows it better!
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My husband thinks this is crazy! Mosaic isn't up his alley. Back to the drawing board. Maybe my first idea with the artwork.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Piece of tempered glass that has whatever you like digitally printed on it. In my area, it can be done quite inexpensively by local print shops. We had a discussion here a while back, with printers weighing in.
    digitally printed glass backsplash

kelleg69 thanked nosoccermom
  • steph2000
    8 years ago

I prefer the art to be hung like art on the walls, as was recommended when this came up before. However, I'm feeling a bit lost as to how to be helpful here to you.

I STILL like the original tile posted here. A lot. I also like the blue and white coral-like tile and the blue and white circle flowery things which almost could pass for starfish. With the latter two, it seems like they would both combine nicely with white subway if you just wanted an accent tile over the range area instead of taking the pattern all the way across the kitchen.

I'm a sucker for arabesque tiles almost all the time, but I do think they showcase better where there is a larger area between counter and uppers than more narrow. And, I'm not as big of a fan of powder, sky and pastel blues for your condo at all. The tile you can peek at in the tropical dining room pic is intriguing if you like the idea of going more towards aqua and less towards the blues - but can't see enough of it to really tell what it is. The pic aktillery posted of the modern bungalow shows again how a kitchen can be basically neutral put still benefit from some color (I happen to love that counter, wonder what that is).

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Steph, great comments. I think I have decided to do the white with blue circle flowery things as an accent behind stove. I agree that powder blue isn't right here for me. I did see these pretty tiles on Houzz this AM since you say you are a sucker for arabesque. Might be hard to see. They call the shape San Felipe. This is a neat look too. It says it is from a store in Canada. Creekside Tile. I love the shimmer.

West Vancouver Horizon · More Info

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Great choice, but then I'm into all things blue and white :)
    Today I saw an Eggo waffle commercial, and I think the kitchen backsplash was like the first tile you posted.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have taken a picture of the TV screen many times b/c there are lots of good houses on commercials! Is is this one? Looks like Fireclay tile or something similar.

• Jillius
    8 years ago

Did you see this, also from Creekside?

• jess1979
    8 years ago

I also liked your first tile you posted with the blue tiles. We did a backsplash but the tiles are more blue/green. Maybe something like we did but in the blue? There is a mistake in the pattern above the sink but it is fine. I look forward to seeing yours when it is done.