SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spider96

Need cabinet color/counter top help

spider96
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have finally gotten my kitchen layout figured out, but now I'm stuck on colors and how to make it work.

Basically, I'm working with a fairly good sized kitchen with an island in the middle. There's a desk that's a little separate, and there's also a coffee/bar area linking a hallway between the kitchen and dining room. (the 2 bar areas are 5 feet and face each other with the walkway in the middle)

I have basically decided on *gasp* pale yellow painted cabinets with bronzed hardware, soapstone counter tops, and white tile backsplash. (this picture has been my inspiration for color) And if you don't like yellow, you better just turn back now! :)

{{!gwi}}

I am not sure what to do with the rest of the kitchen and how to mix it up from here- I don't want everything yellow with soapstone. (I haven't picked wall colors yet, but I tend to gravitate towards browns, greens, and yellows...and some reds)

I guess I want to do something different for the island. I'm thinking a wood countertop for the island like this picture. I love the look, but I'm a little worried about how that will wear with 2 young kids...2 kids who love markers! I guess I could keep it soapstone, too....any suggestions on which would look better?

In addtion to the island countertop, what would look good on the bottom? Should I keep the base yellow or pick something different? What colors would work?

What about the desk area? Should that be the same as the island or as the cabinets/counters?

Should I do the bar/coffee bar area a completely different color? (I am thinking I would keep the soapstone there b/c the dining room has black furniture and I think it would tie in nicely) I'm wondering if I should do some kind of wood finish there?

I have a kitchen designer I'm working with who has been great, but she is suggesting to keep it all yellow. I think that's just a little too much and I'd like to make it a bit more interesting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus