SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Climber for half sun site - seeking opinions

Rosefolly
9 years ago

As mentioned elsewhere, I am depopulating two rose beds and filling the best of their roses in beds I'm keeping. I'm making room partly by removing duplicate roses; also taking our some modern roses that are second tier selections for me. I don't really have any roses left that I don't like.

One of the roses I have two of is the Austin rose 'Leander', trained as a climber up near the house and also on the back fence. It is one of Tom's favorite roses, which puts it in the top tier. I was going to keep the one by the house so he can look at it frequently, but I noticed that this one which is in mid-day shade gets noticeably more powdery mildew than the one growing in full sun on the fence. It makes sense that this is the one I remove. However, if I'm going to take it out, I need to put another rose in that place. It has to be a rose that I already have, and it has to be a rose that can be healthy in half day sun. Oh, and it has to be a climber. There is a gorgeous trellis in place.

Here are some potential candidates. I need to know that they can tolerate half morning sun and mid day shade without increasing the risk of PM, and they have to be able to be trained on a trellis.

Jesse Hildreth

Annie Laurie McDowell (not doing anything for me where it is now)

Florence Bowers Pink Tea

I'm tempted to pick Jesse Hildreth due to the description of it as "very mildew resistant" on HMF. If it is a bad idea, then I'll leave Leander where it is and save myself a lot of work.

Rosefolly

Comments (3)