SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blameitontherain

Trying to Remodel a Kitchen with Low Ceilings

blameitontherain
9 years ago

Hi, all.

Haven't been on this site since the Houzz takeover and am hoping the same great crowd of helpful posters are out there!

The problem: Low ceilings -- as in 81" from floor to ceiling -- which cannot be raised.

Don't want to barrage you all with a zillion questions so would like to focus on the range dilemma for now:

Right now we have an electric JennAir range-oven with a downdraft that is slotted into a peninsula. I hate this range-oven -- HATE it -- hate the configuration (that stupid grill is such a waste of space and I still find it odd that anyone would actually want the little burner to be directly behind the big burner so you can't see if your sauce is boiling over), hate the inconsistency (even with an oven thermometer, cooking times are wildly variable), hate the sucky (or is it non-sucky?) way the exhaust system doesn't rid the air of odors. Love the smell of a roasted chicken WHILE it's roasting -- but man is it foul to smell fowl for a consecutive 18 hours!

It would break our budget to bring gas to the house, so I was thinking of going induction.

The question: What kind of vent can we put in? It needs to WORK first of all (no more morning-after fowl air, please lord), can't be so bulky that we bump our heads on it (my guy is 6'4" ), has small enough -- tubes? pipes? whatever it takes for the system to get the air outside when the space between the ceiling and the next floor is only about 7", doesn't completely block off the sight lines or just plain look weird in our "lowbrow" kitchen.

Any comments, suggestions, great jokes or commiserations would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

Rain

Comment (1)