SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bhpeters

Does the Thuja Green Giant bronzing in winter include crispiness?

bhpeters
9 years ago

We are zone 5 in southern nebraska. We have 60+ thuja green giants we planted in mid april 2014. They were 3 yr old trees when planted. They grew beautifully through the summer, many of them almost 2 feet which I could hardly believe. However winter seems to have hurt them. They have all bronzed, but still have some green parts, and the trunks are green underneath. But even the green foliage is crispy dry. We could not water them when the ground was frozen, but we did water them during the warm periods we had during the winter (January offered a few 70+ days and then went back to freezing). Feb and March have done the same. We watered during those warm times. We had some bitter cold winter winds. But nothing got colder than the literature says these can take except for 2 nights in january that got to -15F. They had mulch all winter. Maybe the rapid change in temps from freezing to 70 to freezing again was too much for them?

I dont understand why all the foliage is dry. Maybe that's normal, but it doesn't seem like it. We are watering again now like crazy, being careful not to drown them. Weather is warming up, temps ranging from 50s to 80s during the day. Nothing in the area seems to be greening up in a big hurry, but these trees are my babies. Every one of them looks the same. I have attached pictures.

Thoughts? Are they all dead? Trunks are still a healthy bright green underneath, but if they are still alive does this mean the entire tree will have to start over with foliage? I expected the bronzing, but not the crispy foliage. How long does it usually take for the bronzing to turn back to green? And did yours stay soft all winter?

Thanks for your help

Comments (7)