SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

shower problem....can someone give me a clue?

My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky." Before I call in a plumber, I'm wondering if anyone here can give me a clue regarding what might be causing the problem.

First off, I have a tankless water heater system. Actually, I have two tankless heaters and some spigots are on one heater and some on the other...and I honestly don't know which are which in most cases but I THINK the guest room shower (which is where we just noticed the problem) is on the same tank as my kitchen sink.

Basically, what happens is that when the hot water is turned on in the guest room shower, after about 30 seconds or so, the water gets hot (which is normal) and then the shower runs perfectly normally for about 2 minutes. Then, all of a sudden, the hot water starts spitting and sputtering and there is little or no hot water pressure! And the shower starts making a really weird noise.

If I turn on the hot water on at the nearby vanity sink, the shower actually starts running a little bit better! Not much better, but at least enough better so that one can quickly rinse off. But eventually, the hot water just stops flowing completely at both the sink and the showerhead. And once the hot water stops flowing at a high enough rate to keep the tankless heater burning, it cuts out.

If it matters, both the shower and sink faucet have "dual handle" controls.

I have not noticed any problem with the hot water at my kitchen sink but, wide open, the flow rate at the kitchen sink is much less than the flow rate at the shower head. Plus, the kitchen sink is downstairs and the shower is upstairs.

The plumbing system is four years old and we've had zero problems with it up until now.

I'm guessing that maybe there is an air pressure buildup somewhere that is keeping the hot water from flowing. The weird sounds the plumbing makes reminds me vaguely of noises I recall from apartment building steam heating systems that were OLD when I was a kid 50+ years ago. I recall my Dad saying that it was an air pressure problem that caused the noises so....

Also, in case this could have anything to do with it, we've had colder weather the last week or so than we've experienced in the past four years and, this is the first time that we've had guests using the guest shower when the weather has been cold.

Any clues as to what could be going on? And, even better, any suggestions for fixing the problem?

Thanks

Comments (12)