SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcrd

Well, well, well....I found the culprit!

mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

For the past few years, I have blamed my wood mulch for starting baby palm trees, oak trees, etc., in the middle of my rose bushes. I just figured that they were in the mulch and they sprouted. Nothing I could do about it. I was able to usually pull out the baby trees with no problem. This year, I am losing all of my own rooted Brother Cadfaels as I have not been able to pull out the palms or oaks that are starting up in them.

The other day, I was watching Mr. California Jay. He is the one that likes my fig trees and has a discerning palate. He will carefully put is bill in one fig and if it is not up to his epicurean standards, he will move on to the next fig until he finds the perfect one, eats half and leaves the rest dangling for ants. For the past several years, I have not bird netted my figs as I have plenty of them and am happy to share with the birds. I have had Mr. Jay and other birds get caught in my bird netting and I have to tear it in order to get them out in one piece (they are really freaked out when they get caught in it) and I don't want them to injure themselves, just not eat the figs. Oh, and Mr. Jay screams at me if I go and pick my own figs off of my own trees! He can be very rude.

I have rules for my figs. I explain this to the birds every year at the start of fig season. They get the ones in the back and I get the ones in the front. I will shoo them away from the front figs.

Well, CJ had something large in his mouth. He carefully hopped over to one of my Brother Cadfaels. Went right into the center of it and buried whatever he had in his mouth. Right in the middle of my plant! No wonder I have small plants growing up in the middle of my roses! All along I have been blaming the mulch companies and it was Mr. Jay! Revenge will be sweet Mr. Jay. I will be bird netting my figs this year! I will be on the lookout for Mr. Jay when I plant all of my new roses.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022