SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Well, I've had better days! (Warning: medical/blood/general TMI)

Chi
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is going to be long, and probably gross at times, so fair warning for everyone. I don't know why I'm writing it out other than it's a bit therapeutic and I'm still trying to process everything.

As some of you know, my husband and I have been trying to start a family for 4 years now, with no luck. We started consulting with IVF doctors, and a week after our second consultation, we were thrilled to find out I was pregnant naturally! I found out in late June, and I was looking forward to announcing here at the KT once it was safe to do so! I think some of you might have guessed from my acid reflux post a few weeks back.

Because of my medical history, I was being monitored closely, so I had blood tests 2-3 times a week and ultrasounds at 5 weeks. Last Friday, we found out that the baby stopped growing a few weeks back, and was no longer viable. We were absolutely devastated, as you can imagine, and spent the weekend grieving. My doctor had given me a few options, and we had chosen to miscarry naturally. We stopped Progesterone immediately and I assumed I would start miscarrying that weekend, but I didn't.

After processing it for a few days, I decided to get a D&C. I knew a natural miscarriage could take weeks and I wanted to have it over with. But mostly, we would be able to test the embryo and possibly see why I miscarried so we might be able to address it in the future. I scheduled one for today (Wednesday) at my fertility doctor's office. I then found out insurance doesn't cover it there, so I went to my OB yesterday and scheduled one for today in her surgical center. She gave me 2 doses of Cytotec to help my body for the procedure. I took the first dose last night as instructed, and I was supposed to take the second one this morning before the noon procedure.

Within an hour or two, I started experiencing the worst cramps of my life. I've never been in labor but it sure seemed similar based on everything I've read/heard. I couldn't sleep and I went to the bathroom repeatedly trying to find some relief. I went at 1 am and everything was fine, and I went again at 3 am, and (FINAL TMI WARNING) so, so, so much blood. I was bleeding profusely, filling a pad within seconds and gushing onto the floor. It was horrible!!! I immediately knew this was not normal so I woke DH and we rushed to the ER.

I began to get scared when they took me back immediately and I had 5 or 6 different doctors or nurses surrounding me and assessing me. I lost so much blood they were preparing for a blood transfusion. They called the OB on staff, who was wonderful, and she said I might have passed it already and might not need a d&c, but then a few minutes later I started bleeding profusely again and my blood pressure dropped about 30-40 points all of a sudden, and she said she's going to get the OR team prepped for immediate surgery.

I was absolutely terrified. Not so much of the procedure but the anesthesia really scares me. I was so upset, worried I wouldn't wake up and I would never see my husband again. I was able to talk to the anesthesiologist who told me that California law required him to put me under general anesthesia with intubation (based on my medical history) when I asked if I could do a stronger sedative type thing for the quick procedure. That didn't help my nerves at all, and so when he saw I was anxious, he basically said (very dry sense of humor) that I could do it now, when I'm stable, or I could wait, possibly bleed to death, possibly develop a nasty infection, possibly scar my uterus permanently, possibly cause infertility, and have a much higher chance of death if I wait than if I do it now. Well, that made the choice easy LOL. But I was still terrified.

Once I was there, it went very quickly. I said goodbye to my husband and they wheeled me in. They immediately put a mask on me and told me to breathe, and my first thought was "Is this what a CPAP mask feels like?" and then my second thought was "I CAN'T BREATHE!" I started panicking and trying to tell them that I couldn't breathe and I think I was trying to pull the mask off, so they strapped my arms down, my anesthesiologist gave me a cheerful "Goodnight!" and it was light's out, lol.

I woke up with a scratchy throat and I said "Is it done?" and they said yes. I remember reading about someone's d&c experience and the medications made her sob when she woke up, and I remembered that as they were wheeling me out, sobbing myself, and I'm pretty sure I loudly announced to all of the nurses that “crying is normal, my crying is a totally normal response to the medicines, don't worry" LOL I'm trying to not remember any other embarrassing things I might have said.

It's funny because I felt very coherent in the recovery room. My husband came in, and we spoke at length to the doctor who did the d&c and the anesthesiologist and I remember being so happy that I was awake and could really ask them all my questions. My husband said I was completely coherent. But as the hours pass, I can't remember anything. I remember talking to them, and I remember *feeling* coherent but I can't remember what was said. It's the strangest thing. Maybe the medicines have some amnesia properties, even though I felt completely awake at the time? I can remember only a few things.

I'm fine now. Emotionally I'm okay. It helped so much that I already knew it was a miscarriage. It would have been a thousand times worse if I still thought I had a healthy baby. The staff was amazing and really calmed me down. They were incredibly discrete and I didn't see any physical evidence of my loss after I arrived there and they cleaned me up.

I feel grateful, given my extreme reaction to the medicines (bleeding was NOT supposed to happen), that I had the d&c done in a hospital. I worry if I had gone to the surgical suite in the doctor's office instead, it might have ended differently. I’m grateful that I knew about the baby’s loss beforehand, which made a traumatic experience much less emotional. I’m grateful for the compassionate staff who made a horrible experience much less scary, and reassured me every step of the way. And I’m hopeful that our next experience will end much more positively!

Thanks for listening.

Comments (52)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County