SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Well, I can no longer say I'm "no-spray".....

AquaEyes 7a NJ
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

....though I didn't use anything harsh. This year and last year, mildew came in stronger than it ever had before. It was probably due to a combination of odd Springs and roses getting a bit congested. So I ordered myself some potassium bicarbonate from a Label Peelers, and some neem oil from Greenhouse Megastore. Then I bought some Dr. Bronner's Lavender Castile Soap at my grocery store. I found several recipes online touting each of those three ingredients, so I put them together.

My adjustable hose-end sprayer container holds about 6 cups. The potassium bicarbonate came in 1-lb bags, and each bag came to 1.5 cups in volume. I used one bag, plus an equal volume (1.5 cups) of neem oil, and a half-cup of Dr. Bronner's soap. I tried sloshing the container to mix it, but it didn't seem to be working, so I added a half-cup of very hot water. That seemed to get things dissolved and mixed.

The recipe I based this on called for 3 tablespoons potassium bicarbonate, 3 tablespoons horticultural oil, and 1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap mixed into a gallon of water. That's a ratio of 6 1/6 tablespoons of ingredients per gallon of water. Dish soap is more harsh than Castile soap, which I assumed accounted for it being limited to just enough to function as a "sticker". Recipes I've seen focusing on Castile soap allowed for a higher concentration of it per gallon of water. Because I added more soap, the ratio would become 3 tablespoons potassium bicarbonate, 3 tablespoons neem oil, and 1 tablespoon Dr. Bronner's soap per gallon of water, totaling 7 tablespoons per gallon. Plus I added an additional amount of water equal to the soap, so that makes 8 tablespoons per gallon as the final mixing ratio. The hose-end sprayer doesn't go up to 8 tablespoons per gallon, instead transitioning into ounces per gallon. The conversion is thus 4 ounces (i.e. a half-cup) per gallon, so I set the sprayer to that.

The forecasts for my area show highs of 87F for tomorrow and Thursday, hitting 92F on Friday. But tomorrow and Thursday will be partially cloudy, and Friday will see rain (again!). So I figured the time was right. I also went through the garden and gave many roses a good pruning and thinning, while others just saw much-needed dead-heading. I figured I'd better get that done first, or else I'd be spraying foliage destined to be removed.

So that's how I spent my day off yesterday, and finished the last of it this morning. I took this opportunity to sort of "reset" several roses which were overgrown and untrained from last year, when I had little or no time for the garden. They look like they've been "late-Winter pruned", but they're vigorous enough to come back. This was also necessary for some of the more tender roses which were hit by that late freeze after an early warm-up this year. The result was that, in many cases, three shoots emerged at each joint -- the main central bud awoke first, only to get slapped by the cold, and that triggered the side buds to awaken, and then the central bud recovered. I should have cut those roses back harder to points below, but I couldn't bear to lose that many blooms in the first flush. So I waited until dead-heading time.

Anyway, that was done, and I set about giving my roses' foliage a good wash-down. I waited until after 5pm, since I've read that neem oil can harm the beneficial bugs, and they seem to disappear for the night around that time. That batch was more than enough for the whole garden, so I went around a few extra times to the roses I grow which get hit rather hard by mildew and blackspot. I still had some of the mix left, but I figured I sprayed enough for one day.

So, we'll see how this works for me. If nothing else, the potassium bicarbonate does make for a foliar feed. I can't call myself "no-spray" anymore, but I'm pretty sure what I used is still "organic". And if I see benefits, I'll be sure to hit the roses with it before the first flush next year.

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (15)