SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Sewer line disaster

bossyvossy
9 years ago

originally posted on another website, but in the spirit of more exposure, posting here too. Sewer backups are gross, no fun and expensive to rectify, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. This is pertinent to those who have individual sewer systems, not people served by municipal systems, who likely aer responsible for repair and maint. of line (guessing)

I am posting this here so that perhaps some frustrated reader somewhere, someplace can find comfort in knowing a) plumbing disasters happen to everybody; b) maintenance goes a loooong ways towards preventing or delaying the mishaps.

DH and I spent the week from hell dealing with sewer plumbing calamities. We hit the disaster trifecta with plugged lines, lines broken by gigantic tree root and the collateral damage of having pipe dislodge off the secondary septic tank. Fortunately we have two septics and being empty nesters, the 2nd tank wasn't missed much. But it does explain why, following company visits, we would have to call service to clean out lines. We couldn't understand the reason we had so many backups (relatively speaking).

The sewer people were just there the unplug line. They are not inclined to volunteer much info. Some people worry that they're being sold unnecessary services but with so few sewer people serving tons of people, they have more than enough business, so no need to "push" services. Initially we got what we paid for, clearing the line, but after a second toilet backup, DH decided it was time to ask more questions, and analyze problem from a broader point of view. His hunch was right. It turns out we had other problems, in addition to a line blockage.

Remember, nobody grew up saying to themselves: "I want to clean other peoples sewage as my career/job, so go easy on these folks. Be very clear on what you want, be humble about what you DONT know, ask as many questions as you can get away with, and be extra nice. They do know more than you about sewer/septic systems, so if you get uppity or difficult, they will just let you stew in your own s***, literally!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2015 12:04 PMvossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2015
7:40 PM

Post #10012556

Edit

Bookmark this post

sorry, I will post pic latervossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2015
8:30 PM

Post #10012580

Edit

Bookmark this post

1) root that pushed its way against sewer T-line. No idea how long it took for this to happen. There is an oak tree approx. 20-30 ft away from line, but canopy shades that area, so likely it belongs to this tree. Crew found a wad of teenie, tiny roots that had made their way through cracks. The roots were as fine as baby hair. I was amazed.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2015 8:42 PM

Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2015
8:35 PM

Post #10012586

Edit

Bookmark this post

I was big on using those blue thingys that you hang in the toilet bowl and the only reason I stopped was b/c I couldn't find it in the stores. Maybe they were banned? This picture shows how the cake, mixed with water and raw sewage solidified and just stuck to the pipe. A cross cut pic shows the 4" pipe was about 75% packed with this stuff. We tried breaking pieces with a hammer and could not do it. Pretty nasty stuff. Please do not use it.

On the 2nd pic you can see where we could break the PVC elbow but not the solidified blue stuff. yuck!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2015 8:57 PM

Click an image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2015
8:36 PM

Post #10012588

Edit

Bookmark this post

cross section comparison. Round pipe vs. "oval" pipe which was deformed from root intrusion and blue stuff accumulation.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2015
8:53 PM

Post #10012597

Edit

Bookmark this post

all done! I never thought I'd be so thrilled about sewer plumbing. With proper maintenance, using Riddex, septic-friendly toilet paper, going easy on cleaners that can destroy solid eating bacteria, this new line should last 30-40 years (crossing fingers). Two lines, going to either of two tanks. I can have 100 relatives visiting, with no plumbing worries, lol.

We even invited a couple of neighbors whom we know have experienced recent plumbing backups, so they could see our damage and what the new piping looked like. I should have had a sewer line party! BTW, we live in the country and are responsible for our own septic system.

Mind you, all that area was covered in azaleas, which I had planted 5 years ago to hide A/C. My garden bed was destroyed but once shrubs were replanted, trenches refilled and debris cleared, it looks like nothing ever happened.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2015 9:00 PM

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2015
9:04 PM

Post #10012601

Edit

Bookmark this post

I really hope this is helpful. When we were first confronted with the problems, I was completely overwhelmed. Hopefully, this essay makes the process less scary and more straightforward. Again, I can't stress enough the need to be nice and patient with septic service people. There are few of them, and lots of us, so they don't have to put up with nonsense from anybody.

the end.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385624/#ixzz3RwXgDxHl

Comments (2)