SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies

l pinkmountain
9 years ago

I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of joe with it. I got it because I broke my china "pour over" thingy and even though I glued it twice, it is done for. I decided to get something plastic this time even though I don't like plastic and hot food mixed with plastic, but the coffee and water doesn't sit in the plastic for long. I managed to break the glass part of a french press too, so I think this is worth trying considering my clumsiness. I also like that the grounds pop out, easier to clean than the french press. I never liked trying to get the grounds out for composting or dumping coffee grounds incessantly down the sink. Actually I think trying to shake the grounds out is how I broke the glass pitcher in the french press.

Anyhoo, the instructions boast that Aeropress makes less acid coffee, which for me would be a good thing. But why? What's the science behind that? Less time steeping? Same could be said for the pour over and french press method on that one.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a good brand/type of coffee for this gizmo? I like the darker roasts. I have tended to mix my regular coffee with teechino which is low acid (and not coffee) but I might kick it up a notch with this thing if it actually lowers the acid. I also use sumatra dark roast since it is supposedly lower in acid, although I don't much care for it. I think I like french roast the best, but all french roasts are not the same. But that is also something I can easily get locally. I don't want the real high end stuff, just a good reliable brand and something sustainable, bird-friendly would be nice. I have NOT liked Green Mountain, which is what they usually sell in ye olde granola section of the grocery store. Newman's Own is a great company, but their coffee is Green Mountain and that is the other brand I commonly find.

I guess I also now have to buy the espresso grind or fine grind coffee. Looks like I may have to find a store that offers grinding. The two local groceries don't offer that and last time I was back east I see they ditched that at my local Allentown Giant too.

Comments (27)