SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dollymibella

This Living Room needs help, what would you suggest?

dollymibella
9 years ago

This is a bit long. I am in the middle of my 2nd Kitchen & Bath renovation since finding these boards. I only recently discovered this fantastic group and was hoping for some guidance. I moved in a year ago and got rid of a lot of things and basically started anew, I am kind of stuck!

What I was going for in the LR was a more sophisticated look than I had in my old place, but I don�t live like that so it isn�t functioning well. I also compounded the problem by buying a glam table, which I think looks great, but isn�t very comfy. It�s kind of awkward to put your feet up on it when watching a movie. So I suppose I am trying to be comfortable and somewhat sophisticated? I think I should have just gotten a sectional, but I didn�t realize it until recently. I do love my sofa. Don�t make fun of my pillow combo! (ok you can!)

The turquoise chair is gone, I have a black leather chair and ottoman coming (prob compounded my problems further), the sofa is staying as is the overhead light. I would like to incorporate the cocktail table somehow, during the holidays I moved it to the right of the sofa and it looked and functioned well.

Aside from these things all the other furniture/lights/etc else can go (except the art), they are all refugees from my last place. I need some kind of table, but am at a loss. I had a very sick pet which explains the rug a bit (it can go, size is 10x13).

I think one of the problems is the floor is very orange and that can�t be changed for the time being. If it can be refinished it will be a dark walnut, but that won�t happen for at least 6 months and if it has to be replaced that will take years. The other issue is the size of the room (approx 12 x 18). In a few months I plan to have radiator covers made with possible low bookcases on each side.

From what is shown in the pics, the art got moved around/changed/added to, the big pink piece stays over the sofa and the big orange piece will go across from the sofa to the right of the window.

The dining room will be painted the same as the LR but just on 3 walls. The long hall wall will stay white. It�s just so blah in the DR. I know I need to change that rug for sure, if the one in the LR gets changed maybe get the same? After the Kitchen is done I really won�t need a table and chairs in the DR there(I barely use them as it is) so that will be next.

I don�t have access to take pics or exact measurements right now but here are a few that I had on my phone. I am open to all opinions.

Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:2140005}}

{{gwi:2140006}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

Comments (27)