SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_793788270

Suggestions needed for the (big) final touches of my living-room

Kevin T
3 years ago

Hey everyone,

My flat is a duplex, with a (kind of) open first floor, living-room and kitchen being separated by a big central column (the column couldn't be removed)

During renovations we left a space on the living-room side of this column (where the dartboard is currently located) for some custom made furniture:

>>> More photos here (they are all wide-angle)

I thought - and still think - that this space is very important, it could really "make" the room so i really didn't want to get it wrong. So much so that i became overwhelmed and just didn't make a decision at all and left it that way (along with a few minor unfinished elements) during... 3 years ! Now I really want to do it.

My idea was to have some kind of mini-bar, similar to these (similar in layout, not style or color) :

Basically a bottom part with maybe a wine cellar cooling unit (or not, it could be a simple buffet), and above it one or two shelves for glasses and some bottles nicely displayed with some nice lighting. Instead of bottles, i can always decide to put books or some art objects, it doesn't matter.

No matter the solution i go for, the A/C units stays here and the plan is to hide it behind some door (same material as the rest of the column of course) that can be opened vertically when A/C is needed (max 2 or 3 months a year),like here.

Questions:

1. Color
Whether i go for the mini-bar or another idea, I need help to decide the color/style (this is actually why I got overwhelmed).

White? light or dark grey? wood? something more original? No idea!

I know that there is a lot of grey in my kitchen and living-room, but that piece of furniture doesn't have to be. It can be very different in style as long as it "works".

To be honest, i got a bit tired of this "all-modern" black and white style everywhere. I actually thought of painting the column (on all sides) in one color, for example beige, dark red...

Or, more expensive and i'm not completely sure it would work: i'd love a faux brick wall (I love this one) on both the kitchen and living room side of the column (in this case, the furniture could be wood).

If not, i could put that brick wall in the living room and maybe kitchen as well (blue lines).

It would probably look nice, but it wouldn't solve my "what color do i chose for the column" question.

I don't know. As i said, i'm lost. Small or big suggestions to improve this floor are very welcome!

2. For the central column, do you have better ideas than the "mini-bar" ?

Here are some others i had:

- It would be the perfect space for a fireplace, but of course it's not technically possible (and i think electric ones may be tacky? Also, it's not that cold where i live (Barcelona) - heating is needed 2-4 months a year max.

- An aquarium would be beautiful, i like animals but i can't be bothered looking after some fish...

- Maybe simple shelves from top to bottom? it would probably be much cheaper, would be more "useful" and I have a lot of books and comics to display. A bit more boring though...

- I used to put my surfboards there but it didn't look that great.

Last precisions:

- Price does matter (i've been hit hard by covid) but i'm open to all suggestions, even expensive ones.

- The column is:

119cm/47inches wide (103cm/40in wide interior walls)

240cm/94in high (195cm/77in under the A/C unit)

Thank you in advance for your input and sorry for the very long post !

Comments (11)