SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Outdoor shower revisited

User
9 years ago

In our ongoing remodel, I am trying to put together a more permanent outdoor shower than we had before.

While the other one had a water supply off the hot/cold connection of the washing machine, and no sewer drain, this one will be a stand alone shower on the deck, with a sewer drain and dedicated hot/cold lines coming from beneath the house. None of the water supplying the shower will be inside the walls. I plan both shut off valves for the supply lines, and separate hot/cold drains for the shower itself.

My desire is for an arching of the pipe to which the rainfall showerhead is connected. No mixer, but instead a cross valve to connect both legs, with the shower riser going up, and the handheld shower wand going down out of the cross connector in the middle. A separate adjustable bar for the handheld shower hose and head is already in my possession.

What I need to know is, must the ID of all parts be the same?
I found a reasonably prices solid brass (chrome finish) riser for the shower head. It has 1/2 inch ID.

Then there are the heavy duty freestanding TUB supply lines which are 37 1/2" tall and those require no wall supports, only under floor supports. Those two are 3/4" ID and 1" OD, with a rose at the bottom so that 4" of the height is under the floor. They will require under floor supports, which will be beneath the wooden deck.

Both these parts are available from Signature Hardware online.

Not being in contact with the plumber who is the subcontractor on our remodel, I have no one to advise me. I wish to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible. The ugly stuff of most valves from shutoff of each water supply, and the drain of each pipe, will be accessible beneath the deck.

This is an exposed outdoor shower. No covering. It will have a drain to the city sewer. I read in the 2007 thread about an exposed outdoor shower (link to it is below--it came up when I googled for the subject) and it said sewers do not like rain water to enter the system. I can see that a pan cover would work nicely when not using the shower, and also raise the pan to same height as rest of our deck. The really nice shower pan the contractor had fabricated is lovely, and could be sheltered fairly easily, without blocking off the deck.

So. The question is really the ease of combining 2 different pipe IDs and ODs. Or should I plan on same size ID which would require wall braces and more holes drilled into the tile on the house exterior wall to studs or blocking.
Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: GWeb Plumbing Forum Outdoor Showers

Comments (9)