Chocolate Brownie Cookies - recipe question

bbstx

Below is a GF recipe for chocolate cookies from Bon Apetite. I would like to make this for a dear friend who doesn't eat gluten. I cannot figure out if you are supposed to whip the egg whites or not. There is a comment posted with the recipe asking the same question, but it has not been answered. One commenter said the batter was too thin to maintain its shape as a cookie. What do y'all think? Any general observations on the recipe?

Chocolate Brownie Cookies

3 cups gluten-free powdered sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons cacao nibs

Place racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350F. Whisk powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in egg whites and egg; fold in chocolate and cacao nibs. Spoon batter by the tablespoonful onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2" apart.

Bake, rotating sheets once, until cookies are puffed, cracked, and set just around the edges, 14-16 minutes.

Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool on pan (they'll firm up).

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Brownie Cookies

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

The instructions do NOT say beat the egg whites first, therefore my understanding is that you add them with a whisk along with the whole egg. The "folding" instructions for the remaining ingredients may make you think they need whipping first, but that's not indicated in the instructions. I do see how that could be confusing. Let us know how they turn out ;-).

BTW, sometimes it's easier to purchase a small carton of liquid egg whites (Aldi has an inexpensive brand) than it is to separate a number of eggs and then try to figure out how to use the yolks (make gluten-free noodles comes to mind, however). I keep a group of g-f recipes that use a number of egg whites so I can use a carton of egg whites quickly after opening it.

-Grainlady

Save    
bbstx

Thanks, GL. I may make these for my friend and make creme brulee for me and DH with the leftover egg yolks. Here in Podunk Corners, egg whites are sold only by the quart.

When I posted the question, I had enough energy to make the cookies. But in the meantime, this bad cold I have has beaten me over the head again, and I feel crummy again. I think I'll go nap for a while. After all, I have to perk up enough to cook some black-eyed peas sometime today. Thank goodness, the greens are already cooked and in the freezer. They just need heating.

Nevertheless, I am going to make these cookies in the next few days. I'll post the results.

Save    
colleenoz

Except that your spammy recipe is not gluten free, which is what the original post is about. Thanks for dragging up a 6 year old post to get your spam out there.

1 Like Save    
flavoraddiction

The question was about whipping the whites, not about gluten (free or not).

If you don't understand cooking, don't comment.

If a post is obsolete because is too old(!?!), I'm sure the admins would have removed it by now, but an old recipe in today's world is gold!

1 Like Save    
bbstx

Well, isn’t this a blast from the past! I’m the original poster. I never made the cookies. And since then my GF friend has gone to the FODMAP diet which is just too complicated for me to try to navigate. Pre-COVID, when he and his wife would come over for drinks, she would bring a snack for him. We all love both of them and enjoy their company. If that means he brings his own food, so be it. Sure takes the pressure off the hostess!

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

I love how flavoraddiction “liked” his/her own post.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! I find it interesting that flavoraddiction only just signed up to make that rather unpleasant and uncalled for comment.

If you don't understand the protocols and common courtesies that are observed here, don't comment!

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

How can you bake brownies without cannabis?

3 Likes Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

^ lol Ricky.

Not sure flavaddiction read AllisonRomans posted recipe. Its an odd one. More like a meringue? But no whipping of the egg. Odd. Needs weight measurements to succeed as egg sizes are so different.

Flav just posted a link to a typical brownie recipe (that needs an editor)....hard to follow. First postings with a link to a personal blog/website is considered spam. If completely innocent, flav should ask advice on recipe writing from the grammar police. More of a 'what do you think?' deal-io. "I have a good recipe...but I need help making this clear". (and not me....I struggle with recipe writing....can barely follow my own weeks or months later)

(her deleted link and recipe are in the archives)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 9 Questions to Ask When Planning a Kitchen Pantry
Avoid blunders and get the storage space and layout you need by asking these questions before you begin
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
Life How to Celebrate National S’mores Day When You Don’t Have a Campfire
Too hot to toast marshmallows? Never got around to building that fire pit? These recipes are for you
Full Story
The Mission of USA Cabinet Store and Design Center is to provide the best customer service, the highest quality... Read More