SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charitycomposter

How I keep my verd warm in winter

charitycomposter
9 years ago

I keep my worm bins in my unheated garage. Though much warmer than outdoors I still have the challenge of keeping my verd warm. My goal is to keep the bin soil around 70*. Outdoor temps have dropped to single digits and is in the teens or twenties most nights. I realize that's nothing to our Canadian and Russian vermicomposters, but worms don't fare well at those temps nonetheless.

This winter I've been running an experiment that has proven to be very successful at keeping the soil temp in the upper 60s and low 70s. I keep my bins on a metal shelving unit. I had a large tarp that wasn't being used. So I wrapped the shelf with the tarp on top and all sides, bought a heat lamp and plugged it in. See pic for my set up. I use small clamps to close the front access area to keep the warmth in.

The soil temps in my bins have been consistently in the 60-70* range and the worms seem to be happy, hungry, and amorous. I realize having a heat lamp uses extra electricity but I figured it was worth it to keep my verd happy and growing over the winter months.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert