SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swede1234

heirloom oranges..where are they?

swede1234
9 years ago

Hi, friends!.... I live in Central MN, where we can grow no oranges of our own. I've always envied you guys in tropical zones... I'd LOVE to have an orange tree in my yard!

I've noticed that since I was a kid, oranges have just gone the tube, as far as taste, quality, and texture goes. When I was a boy, we only had oranges with seeds, and they were wonderful!

But now, oranges we have in the stores are pithy, blah flavor, not juicy, and rarely can I eat them without having to spit out the fibrous outside of the slices, as it seems thicker than it used to. I am convinced that marketing types have ruined the pleasure I used to have in eating those old succulent oranges.

Anyway, THE ONE EXCEPTION TO MY PRESENT PLIGHT IS THE DISCOVERY OF "HEIRLOOM' ORANGES BY SKY VALLEY!

Though they are a seedless orange, I absolutely love the flavor, juiciness, and non fibrous oranges that this company produces... the big problem is of course, that they are only available and show up in stores here in MN about the last week in December and the few weeks into January. (Obviously their season...)

MY QUESTION TO YOU: Are there any OTHER oranges out there, that are EQUALLY as good as the ones I like?

ALSO, as our stores only market the usual blah oranges, can I obtain other high quality varieties like I've described by mail, without going broke?....

Any help would be appreciated...

May you all have a blessed Christmas, surrounded by loved ones & friends..

Thanks, Gary

Comments (33)