SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

a tale of two mango trees

Since moving to SW Florida from the Upper Keys in Sept 2005, I have lived in two different homes hereabouts. Everything grows like wildfire in the Keys, so will only relate the story of the first two Kent mango trees ( my all time favorite mango ), I grew in this area of SW Florida, on the border of zones 9b and 10a.

I planted the first Kent in March 2006 on the front lawn of my 1st home here. That home was sold 2 years later. I drove by a year after selling it, just to see how the tree was doing. I was shocked and dismayed to discover the tree covered in a black fungus, even the few fruits were black. Felt sorry for the people, obviously not familiar with the proper care of a Kent mango tree, the one variety that is very sensitive to the fungus. Hopeful that the owner would eventually get some help from someone , I moved on.

A few years later I planted another 6 ft tall Kent in the new " plantation " I started in the backyard of my present home, just 10 miles away. This 2nd Kent is now 5 yrs old but has produced no fruit for the last 3 years,..nada, not even one pannicle, despite all the TLC it received ! The others around it, ( especially the Glenn ), however, produce larger harvests every year. Although the Kent I now have is just starting to show a smidgeon of life in the last month, I am generally not excited about it's prospects for the approaching season. ( 1st pic )

Then, a week ago on my way home from the American Legion, I decided to drive down once again to have a look at the old Kent tree, now in the ground nine years.. Afraid of what I'd see but instead a pleasant surprise.

That tree was about 18 feet tall, a bright green with a trunk diameter of 10 inches, and bristling with loads of vibrant looking pannicle clusters shooting upwards. ( 2nd pic ) !! Here we were, barely into January, and this late season Kent is already producing so many new pannicles, I was speechless !

Was so impressed I stopped and took a pic, then had to knock on the door and ask what the owner was doing that had produced such a magnificent specimen. I told them I was " in awe and sooo jealous " ! lol They were very nice and told me neither of them has a clue about mango trees and have done absolutely nothing to nurture the tree.

I returned home and looked at my almost dormant 5 yr old, ten foot tall Kent. How could I be the father of both these trees ? Hmmm, so much for TLC, right ?

Am of the opinion now that perhaps some varieties of mango trees flourish with less care than others. Needless to say, with this tree anyway, there will be no more pruning, or tipping, or fungus sprays, or fertilizing !!! NOTHING !! If those people can do it, so can I !! lol

This post was edited by jofus on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 8:57

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH