SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

A tale of two jams....

alison
15 years ago

I've been testing the waters of home canning for a several years; never in a big way, and never with a lot of success. But this year, armed with my cookbook of Small Batch Canning recipes, I bought a few boxes of canning jars and have vowed to give it a real try.

{{gwi:1551709}}

First up was peach jam. We planted a peach tree in our front yard at work in memory of a former staffer, and this year it was loaded to the point of breaking. So I started there. I carefully followed the recipe, ladled the jam into the jars, put them in my makeshift canner and processed them for 10 minutes.

Took them out and set them out on the table. Blissfully counted the "pings" as I went to bed. Next morning, I got up and got my toast ready -- and poured jam on my toast. Yep, it was tasty -- syrup.

Next try was raspberries. I got a big lot at the farmers market, readied my jars and toasted my sugar. This time, I thought I would ignore the times, and look for the telltale signs that it would gel.

It was a bit difficult to judge 'sheeting' with seedy raspberries, and I ended up cooking it about 5 minutes longer than the recipe called for. Poured it into the jars, burning off most of my fingerprints in the process, and sealed up the jars. I was disappointed it only made 3 and 1/2 jars instead of the 7 promised, but -- eh.

While the jars were cooling on the table, I got out the only piece of bread in the house, the top half of a hamburger bun, and dunked my knife in the half-ful jar of jam -- only to have it bounce back. I had cooked the jam too long, so long it reached hard-crack stage. And I now have 4 big chunks of raspberry candy -- three sealed in fancy little jars!

So -- my first batch was too runny, my second batch was too hard - that means my third batch will be juuuuuust right.

Right?

Comments (21)