SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

In case you want a good laugh.... looking forward to 2015

Finally got all my photos from the last few years uploaded to photo bucket & I've been giggling all afternoon at my ridiculous "hands on" learning I've done in my first few years of gardening.
Thought some of you might be able to relate to some of these mistakes I've made.

When we bought our house in 2012, I jumped right in and moved an arbor we inherited with the house to the sidewalk that led to no where.... turns out another house used to be there. So I got busy and just dug up flowers from around the yard and planted them straight into the grass, like this. That is our garage in the background.

{{gwi:2121471}}

Then the grass started getting really tall and I was like "oh yeah, mulch!" so while my husband was out, I went to the store and bought mulch. Dumped it right on top of the grass, thinking it would kill it. I now know that doesn't work so much.

{{gwi:2121472}}

Note all the flowers I planted as well. Decided I didn't like it so I dug them up and decided to start a rose garden.... and my very first rose was a Hot Pink Double Knock Out Rose. Don't worry, I kept the perennials! Most of them survived being moved 10 times in one summer.

{{gwi:2121473}}

Then I went a little crazy and planted too many rose bushes in a small space. And I hand dug my garden beds.... in like 100 degree weather. The mulch looked good though I think.

{{gwi:2121474}}

Those pink roses got powdery mildew (unsure what kind, they were on clearance and called "Pink Roses") and I didn't know what it was or what to do so I dug them up and composted them. Ugh, it physically hurts me to say this. This is why I need all of you from gardenweb in my life.... otherwise I'm really impulsive and panicky.

{{gwi:2121475}}

Here is what I ended with in 2013. That climbing rose bush was grafted and didn't survive winter.

{{gwi:2121476}}

But the knock out rose did. And it's a happy camper in 2014, despite me wishing it was a different rose sometimes...

{{gwi:2121477}}

It's neighbors, a Kashmir Rose, has moved in. And a Sweet Summer Love Clematis is now growing up the arbor. The mini roses moved into my big garden in the background.

{{gwi:2121478}}

And here is where we ended in 2014. I'm planning on adding a New Dawn Climbing Rose in 2015 and then I will hopefully leave this little garden bed alone.

{{gwi:2121479}}

I'd like to think I'm a little less of a panicky weirdo now that I have you guys to help me.

Happy New Year!
Michaela

This post was edited by thegardenat902 on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 14:39

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!