SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

July 2015 what looks good/bad/awful/wonderful in your garden?

grant_in_arizona
8 years ago

Hi all,

I hope you and your plants are tolerating these crazy-high daily high temperatures well. I know *I* am (heat-lover here) and most of my plants are too (except things like nasturtiums and sweet peas that croak in the heat as expected, oh and my tomatoes which got tired so I ripped them out and replaced with vincas for summer--they look awesome.

I try to build the bulk of my garden to be plants that LOVE it here, with a dash of experimentation/babying, so there are always lots of things that look good every day. Right now barrel cacti (Ferocactus), lantana, Oenother biennis ("evening primrose"), ruellia ("Mexican petunias"), passion flowers, yuca vine (Merremia tuberosa) and lots of other cacti and plants look great, wonderful and happy.

Some like Aeoniums are starting to look tired as expected, and a few aloes are not loving the heat but will survive.

What about in your garden? We'd love to see/hear!

Here's a couple of quick pics of an Astrophytum asterias cactus in bloom this morning. Bright SHADE for these locally (or a sunny windowsill if indoors). I've had this one outside all year for several years and it flowers off and on all summer long. It gets about two hours of morning sun and then bright SHADE for the rest of the day. Water only when bone dry of course. So easy!

Happy gardening!

Grant

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting