SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Clematis vs. Rose: The epic battle

Like many things rose-related, I think whoever first said roses and clematis are good companion plantings must have been from California. Don't get me wrong - I think they look GORGEOUS together. It's just that in my zone, the rose usually doesn't have a fighting chance. Clematis LOVE our loamy cool soil and they literally grow like weeds with little or no encouragement. I have probably 75-100 clematis planted willy-nilly around my 750 roses, and in almost every case the clematis wins the battle. Initially I planted the clematis so there was something convenient nearby to climb on, since I hadn't gotten that into roses yet, but as I heard about the combination of roses and clematis I started to plant them at the foot of many roses that were supposed to be at least 5-6' tall in my climate.
I admit ahead of time that I don't remember off-hand which clematis these are in most pictures, though when the weather warms up I can go out and check the tags. I simply wasn't very systematic in most of my clematis plantings. A local specialty nursery would sell them at one time in small pots for the same $5 as any other perennial, so I'd stock up on flats of clematis to distribute around like alyssum or geraniums as filler. I'll let you help me judge the winners in these contests:

This one is at least a fair fight, given the trellis to climb on, but clematis DD (Daniel Deronda perhaps?) is saying "neener neener" to Antique 89, a climber that is plenty tall for our climate but can't compete with the clematis in any year.

{{gwi:2120247}}

Similarly, Felix LeClerc is usually at least 6 feet for me and resolutely hardy, but no match for clematis Jackmanii.

{{gwi:2120248}}

Reine des Violettes is a vigorous and thickly growing rose that weaves across the uprights of this swing, but even though it still has a bloom or two toward the end of its cycle you can barely see the rose foliage for the two competing clematis here.

{{gwi:2120249}}

Here's the flip side of that shot with more clematis horning in on the fun

{{gwi:2120250}}

And even when Papageno grows to full height, he won't be able to compete with the clematis on the other side of the swing, one of which is viticella (and no, I didn't plan this color combo - Papageno was supposed to be Pink Pet):

{{gwi:2120251}}

And the Austin Scepter'd Isle is well-established and at least 6 feet tall, but it is getting eaten alive and pulled to the ground by clematis Princess Diana (a surprisingly thuggish clematis, given the name):

{{gwi:2120252}}

The same growth habit applies to Queen of Sweden, but the Queen is trumped not only by the same Princess but also another purple (perhaps Hagley Hybrid) joining the melee - my 6' QoS is barely a foot off the ground here.

{{gwi:2120253}}

Here are the same two thugs devouring not only a shepherd's crook but also the very robust mini climber Jeanne LaJoie

{{gwi:2120254}}

The clematis have even started to take on inanimate objects and win hands-down. Here a nameless white and (again) Princess Diana pull our 2" square post for our mailbox out of its uprights

{{gwi:2120255}}

And here at least 3 or 4 different clematis (including Warsaw and yes, go figure - Princess Di) are encroaching on a 6' fence like a tidal wave. See what I mean about growing like a weed? You can see roses growing around these but I don't dare plant any rose climbers in the 2' between the clematis and the fence for fear they'll never be seen again (picture the Jaws theme here - da-DUM, da-DUM, da-DUM...)

{{gwi:2120256}}

I could only find two photos in 3 years of checking these where I would give advantage in the battle to the rose, although technically Mother of Pearl is cheating in this battle. The clematis here (maybe Betty Balfour) isn't really climbing on Pearl but pulling down the tough as nails presumably indestructible M. Alfred Carriere at rear (so MAC loses and MoP cheats on a victory).

{{gwi:2120257}}

The only clear rose victor is Sweet Fragrance and about 5 rose friends who collectively fight off a fairly wimpy clematis that's pretty much lost in the shuffle.

{{gwi:284078}}

And lastly, this may not look like it but I call this one a draw. Sweet Autumn Clematis - the thuggiest of thuggy clematis - attacks Quadra - the thorny beast of cold weather climbers, both supported by a large garden arch. Don't let the few blooms from Quadra fool you - he hasn't given up the fight and is simply resting from his labors. This contest is like Godzilla vs. King Kong - the only loser is New York.

{{gwi:2120258}}

So - how about you? Let's see some roses winning this battle from your yard! They sure aren't likely to happen any time soon in mine...

Cynthia.

Comments (38)