SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Can the native speakers please help with a phrase?

netla
10 years ago

I have come across the phrase "Charmed, I am sure," or some version of it, in books (especially older books) and have heard it in historical films and TV shows, and occasionally in a modern context.

The surface meaning would seem to be "I would probably be pleased to meet you if I knew you", but sometimes the usage seems to be one of cold condescension, e.g. when a lady is introduced to someone she considers to be beneath her socially but must be polite to. I have also come across instances where it seemed to be used as a stock politeness with no particular meaning behind it and I have seen it used by characters who appear to be trying to sound more genteel that they actually are.

Am I right in thinking this or am I missing something (or possibly over-analysing)?

The reason for asking is this passage Dickens' Bleak House, when the old madwoman of Chancery has dragged Esther and co. into her home and says:

"Extremely honoured, I am sure," said our poor hostess with the greatest suavity, "by this visit from the wards in Jarndyce. And very much indebted for the omen."

Although it has been mentioned previously in the book that she is condescending to them, it is not likely that she would use the phrase in such a way as to imply that they are beneath her if she considers their presence in her room such a good omen. Or is it? (One must consider the possibility, as she is, after all, supposed to be mad).

The Urban Dictionary (not the most trustworthy of sources, but highly entertaining) gives explanations that are almost exact opposites.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio