So. CA native, please help with name

socks(10a)

This bush has dark green leaves like folded taco shells and red stems.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks(10a)

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

You might get an answer on the Name That Plant Forum. It would help if you can give more detail about the location and preferably close ups of foliage and leaf arrangement.

Save    
socks(10a)

Thank you, floral. I figured it out: laurel sumac. Common here in natural areas. I had forgotten its name.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Thanks for coming back. Malosma laurina - only representative of its genus. Not a species I've ever come across before.

Save    
socks(10a)

It probably grows in Mediterranean climates. You might not much of that in the UK....lol! Not uncommon here in open areas, not sure if it's used in landscaping. I had learned it long ago when I volunteered in a nature preserve, but the name had slipped my mind.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Seems it can't tolerate freezes so not suited to our climate, though we can grow quite a lot of Californian plants.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening for Butterflies 3 Ways Native Plants Make Gardening So Much Better
You probably know about the lower maintenance. But native plants' other benefits go far beyond a little less watering and weeding
Full Story
Landscape Design Native Plants Help You Find Your Garden Style
Imagine the garden of your dreams designed with plants indigenous to your region
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Silphium Perfoliatum Pleases Wildlife
Cup plant provides structure, cover, food and water to help attract and sustain wildlife in the eastern North American garden
Full Story