SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisdom48

(u)A Year of Magical Thinking(/u) Didion

veronicae
18 years ago

I have never read anything by Joan Didion before. However, I was caught by the excerpt from this book in the "NY Times" book review a few weeks back. Then, my parish priest used a quote in his sermon two weeks ago.

I really enjoyed this book. I do a lot of bereavement work and reading. However, this book hit me more personally.

One point she makes in particular made me think. She mentions that when she was young, grieving was an open and accepted part of life...and people were very supportive. Today, people expect the bereaved to get over it, and do their grieving in private, and with support groups.

It struck me how reversed our society is...our sex lives, family disputes, etc are out in the open...thanks to Oprah, Phil and Maury. But this natural process is hidden.

It's a well written book...with a couple of great literary devices that support the cycles of her grieving...e.g. repetitive words, quotes, poems...that act almost like musical reprise.

I'm going to look for more of her books. As well as some of the ones she mentioned by her husband.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus