SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veer_gw

J K Rowling's book for grown-ups

veer
11 years ago

The Casual Vacancy the first 'adult' book by J K Rowling has just been published to a great fanfare of critics reports and the 'Arty' TV and radio programmes doing 'special interviews'. A pre-publication copy was kept under lock and key in an Edinburgh lawyer's office, where it was probably necessary to sign the Official Secrets Act before glancing at the title page.

It certainly seems to deal with grim subject matter and is based around the characters of a small village . . . said to be taken from the area in which JKR grew up.

I lived in this most unassuming village at the time JKR was growing up and never realised it could be such a hot-bed of goings-on (!). My children went to that secondary school (High School) and luckily didn't suffer the same unhappiness either there or at home that JKR experienced.

Yes, I know it is fiction and there is no reason she shouldn't write an 'adult' book and that it wont be suitable for your children. I just wonder how well it will do and if it will be a start of a different writing career for her?

I'm off to the gentle Cotswold Hills for a few days tomorrow but although this wont be on my reading list, might it be on yours?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Casual Vacancy

Comments (9)