SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gooseberrygirl

Libraries

gooseberrygirl
17 years ago

Anyone want to talk about libraries?

I love my library. I got my first library card in the third grade and have been using it ever since.

Where I live, on an island, growing up we did not have a bookstore. A sporting goods shop sold Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.

My best friend and I would each receive our allowances of $.50 each on Saturday morning and beg or borrow the $.07 tax and buy ourselves the next Nancy Drew, go to one of our homes and one of us would read it saturday afternoon then the other take it home...my friend was not allowed to play on Sunday r/t religious reasons, so one of us had to finish it on saturday.

So the library was wonderful for us. We went weekly.

It was originally housed in a beautiful old mansion but in the '70's a new modern library was built and a few years ago renovated and doubled in size.

We have a great used bookstore in the beasement and an extensive web site I am just begining to explore.

It is my home away from home.

Comments (52)

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

When ever I consider moving to a new home, the first thing I do is check out the public library. Second, any bookstores. They would certainly be my home away from home.

(Third, by the way, is does the town have proper sidewalks for walking, meaning is it designed for people or for cars?)

Rosefolly

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

It saddens me every year when the library has to beg, plead and finagle for funding-both public and private. Oh to be independently wealthy. I'd spend it on libraries and schools.

• Related Discussions

FOTESS NOV. SWAP - "A Garden and a Library"

Q

Comments (116)
    Jeanne sends to Mandy - received Mandy sends to Annie - received Annie sends to Nicole - received Nicole sends to Shirley - received Shirley sends to Margo - received Margo sends to Jeanne - received Beth sends to Ruth - sent Ruth sends to Beth - received Ladies, I'm going to post some garden books (non-fiction) that I've enjoyed quite a lot. I have copies of all of these on my bookshelves. Of course, the "southern" ones might not be useful if you don't live in the south. This first author has passed away but was in the S.C. Master Gardeners and the kindest and most knowledgeable person who did a lot for the group. Margot Rochester - her 2 books are: Earthly Delights Down to Earth Both are the type of books you can read again and again. The following I consult again and again. The Southern Living Garden Book Burpee Seed Starter Tough Plants for Southern Gardens - Felder Rushing Southern Herb Growing - Marlene Hill, Gwen Barclay with Jean Hardy The Southern Gardens Book of Lists - Lois Trigg Chaplin China Bayles Book of Days - Susan Wittig Albert My dog has been waiting patiently for her dinner so I'll take care of that and then add to this with our winners for November. Thanks for joining in!
    ...See More

HOUSE TOUR: Inside a Charming New Orleans Home with Cozy Library

Q

Comments (3)
    Wonderful. I like the home owner better than any I have seen on Homeworthy (well, I also liked the guy in California I think it was who was funny and down to earth). This guy is much the same, but a little more reserved, actually a lot more, but still so normal and relaxed. Any man so fond of his grandmother is pretty darn wonderful as far as I am concerned. I like the house a lot, too. I want that green velvet sofa. I will probably watch it again. Most of the time I don't even finish watching one complete episode because the owner's voice is so irritating, or the personality is so pretentious, or I am just not taken by the house or decor, but this one was terrific, I think. Thanks for this, Gizmo.
    ...See More

Great news! ( if you read ebooks from the library) - More options!!!!

Q

Comments (17)
    @salonva my process/use of Goodreads is almost exactly the same as yours. If I know a book is popular, I immediately put a hold on it with my library/Libby account. If it's not a popular book, I can "tag" it in Libby. which act like shelves - "interested" for regular books and one called "audiobook." When I finish books, I can then look thru those two categories to choose my next book/audiobook, if I am still waiting for books I have on hold. My library has a "smart tag" in Libby labeled "borrowed" which automatically adds any books I've "checked out" on Libby. I don't really look at that one since I have a Goodreads shelf for books I have read. I also have about 75 shelves in Goodreads, in addition to the preset shelves like "currently reading" and "read" that help me keep track of things like genre, subject matter, setting etc. Sometimes I can't remember a book title or author, but by tagging them and adding to shelves, it helps me easily find a book I have read that I might want to recommend. So I have things like memoir, Scotland, dysfunctional family, coming of age, minority author, etc.
    ...See More

Define this library/ dressing room?

Q

Comments (18)
    You might be able to buy a new slipcover for your IKEA chair online, but color choices will be limited. You can do google searches for other vendors of slipcovers https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tullsta-chair-cover-lofallet-beige-80410338/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks_Living_room_seating&region_id=988492274227635562514691135418307587015&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEuJ6WgIeKz4UEz5kjtJzNSXPykGZ1wyKf9OowcI4K4OfHZwluGNaixoCgsoQAvD_BwE I did initially post a different lamp to this thread and here it is. I took it down because I thought it was rather expensive to hide away in a corner, maybe too big and also am not sure lighting up the ceiling with a uplight torch is the best idea, since you have an overhead fixture anyway https://www.cb2.com/pavo-champagne-brass-double-floor-lamp/s590075?localedetail=US?a=501&campaignid=10363910345&adgroupid=103409810539&targetid=pla-1654842379411&pla_sku=590075&pcat=HSW&scid=scplp590075&sc_intid=590075&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEr2IU9QiBHuRyBA_8sHgoGyxknn8D8nomk68CFjhKTgllpPlqkGSgRoCkNIQAvD_BwE I'm really on the fence about ceiling fans. Aesthetically they are problematic but given what we are facing with climate change they are optimal accessories for dealing with heat and biting bugs, and even virus pathogens (circulating air upward is protective). There are snazzier looking ones that don't break the bank, but if you have other ways of ventlating the room and the fan is truly superfluous or doesn't get used, I think I would wait until you make your other decor choices before deciding if maybe you want a relaxed ceiling fixture, like a rattan pendant, or want some sparkle, or want something noticeably contemporary Bottom line for me on ceiling fixtures is that they don't have bowls that collect dust and bugs and need to be taken down with a ladder to be cleaned (feather duster cleaning). To me the bottom line overall is that this is a room that hardly any one but your and your famly will see so you can have as much fun or spend as little money as you like. It should be easy to pull it together once you settle on a plan.
    ...See More
  • carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

I'm a big library user, too. I frequently read a book a day, so there is no way I could afford either to buy or to find a place to keep all the books I read.

I grew up in the country where there was no library. My high school was small, so I read most of what fiction they had. Then I got to college where there was a wonderful BIG library, only to find that for the first time in my life I had to spend my time studying. So frustrating!

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fines....I rarely have them because I take only 4-5 books at a time and have 3 weeks to read them, plus I can renew online.
    Now before you all go thinking I am some kind of library saint I once lost a book. The librarian kept renewing it and renewing it, for about 4-5 months, so I had a good chance to find it but finally I said I'll pay for it I am sick of looking for it. It never showed up and I have moved twice since this incident. The worse part is I didn't even like the book and never finished it.
    Also I am sure I must drive the librarians crazy with all the interlibrary loans I request. See, I get books for my Dad, he's 83 and even though he golfs 3-4 times a week, walks a mile or two every day and has a 90 year old girlfriend, he lost his ability to to go the library after sustaining a slight muscle pull in a fall at my sister's house and was laid up for a day or two, so I went and got him some books to read and that was about 9 years ago. He tends to be fussy about the books and authors he reads, aren't we all, so I keep a list of what he has read in an address book...works well...I can alphbetize...and so I am constantly requesting books for him. Right now it seems most of his favorite authors have new ones about to be published or just out so I think I have 14 books on hold for him now.
    Still it is another excuse to show up at the library.

• smallcoffee
    17 years ago

I love my library. Couldn't get along without it. Unusual for it to not have something I need, and if that happens there's interlibrary loan. I also enjoy the online catalog. I have fond summer childhood memories of walking to the Flatlands branch of the Brooklyn Public library, and hefting my six books, (the limit) home. I spent hours reading, not even minding sweating in the hot humid weather. I still read as much as I can during the summer, but I take air conditioning when I can get it.

• popi_gw
    17 years ago

How lovely to read about everyone's experiences with library.

I love my library too. It is only 2 years old and I waited about 6 years for it to be built. Before that I had to travel to another suburb with a library I just did not like. The 'feel' of the place was just not right.

So I love my new library, it bright and open, with modern furniture. It needs more books, though.

I borrow books for my 14 year old son. I find it so difficult to find books for that age group. He loves reading, and often has to re-read books 'cause there just is not anything for him to read.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED !

Its wonderful to go somewhere and be able to get any book and take it home to read, and it doesnt cost me a cent. Has to be the best thing in the world!

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

>Also I am sure I must drive the librarians crazy with all the interlibrary loans I request.Interlibrary loans don't drive us crazy, we are happy to do them for patrons like you-who really read the book-but the ones that sit on the call shelf and are never picked up do torque us, because each interlibrary loan (true ones-from other library systems, not the ones from other branches) costs us about $15 to do-and we don't charge the patron unless they want hundreds.

• agnesd
    17 years ago

Love my library. They will order almost anything for me and then call when is arrives. They even buy expensive computer programs and the latest DVDs. Of course, the expansion budget didn't pass. I voted for it. I was one of the 117 for it, but there were 436 against it. I saw droves of people voting who probably have never seen the inside of our library. Oh, well.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>'cause there just is not anything for him to read.

I don't get this. Isn't there a YA section, or is he a good enough reader for some adult books? You might ask the librarian for suggestions (I see you posted a thread, looks like you are getting lots of ideas)

The main downtown library was my home away from home since I was 5. My parents owned a deli and I was usually underfoot. So they sent me across the street (this was early 60s) to the library/museum complex. The children's librarian at the time was Priscilla McCloud, a lovely lady who took me under her wing (I suspect dad gave her a few corn beef sandwiches for her effort). Later I'd see her at our branch library when I was in HS, and when I'd come home from college, always stop by and say hi. She was probably the most influential adult in my childhood.

Now - its sad. I live in a suburb that used to have three excellent libraries. I'd often go there to check out books, and then usually based my purchases on what I read. But the budget cuts here have been severe, esp since the voters defeated a bill calling for a property tax. So now they have a skeleton crew, have few new books, and are probably going to close the library near me. I could go to the library in a nearby suburb, I've just gotten out of the habit.

>but the ones that sit on the call shelf and are never picked up do torque us, because each interlibrary loan

A while back, our library system started charging for books left on hold, and last I heard were charging just for putting a book on hold.
    >

• granjan
    17 years ago

My first library was a charming, 3 story, stone Carnegie in Waterloo, Iowa, across the street from the Piggly Wiggly! My mother would take us after she got groceries. Then more kids came and the only way I could get there was to walk. It was a LONG walk and I read a LOT of books.

I would check out as many as I could carry in my 2 arms, and would be exhausted. A few years ago on a visit home I did the mileage, 2.5 miles one way! But every other Sat. I made the trip. The children's section was in a half basement. I so wanted to go upstairs to the adult section. We could get an adult card when we finished 8th grade. I ran to the library that day, report card in hand. My 1st adult book was The Egyptian, a sexy, sensational novel I had read the condensed version of from my father's Reader's Digest condensed books. (I was supposed to ask if I could read those, but I snuck the ones I knew they wouldn't approve up into my room.)

My mother never read books, and my father who read almost everything, never really paid attention to what I read.

The summer I broke my leg my mother took me to the bookmobile that came to the nearest supermarket every week. I hated it because there were such a small selection. The driver started making a list of books I liked and brought suggestions from the librarian just for me!

That beautiful Carnegie library eventually became law offices, and was torn down a few years ago. I miss it.

I can't imagine what I would do if I had to buy all the books I read. The cost would be prohibitive. I never mind paying library fines, I figure I should pay more! But I had never lost a book till this year, when I lost 2 within a month of each other, both on planes. And they were the only copies in the library and I didn't get to finish either one!

I currently have 4 library cards, and use the inter-library loan. And I have volunteered at a K-5 school library for 11 years.

• veer
    17 years ago

The comments about your libraries make me realise that here in the UK ours are run on different lines.
    Ours are under the control of the County Councils (in my case Gloucestershire) or, if within a large city, for eg Manchester, London, Bristol are run by those City Councils. They are funded by what used to be called the 'rate payers' and staffed by trained librarians; although the small branches probably only have one, if any, people with 'proper' qualifications. As far as I know the staff are all paid a proper salary and they don't use many (if any) voluntary workers.
    Joe Public (you and me) have little say on how these places are run, their opening hours or their budgets and we will never be asked to vote on whether or not to put up a new building or even add a couple more shelves. These decisions are taken in a dusty back-room of the county/city Hall by permanent staff, who again, are not voted for by the local population.
    The system is the same for all depts. of 'Local Government' not just libraries. So at local level the people working in our schools, hospital, refuse collections, police etc don't change when a General Election takes place . . . although, of course, as a result of political change other policies do occur as they filter down from the Powers That Be in Whitehall and the Government of the Day. The Civil Servants (never voted into office) at whatever level, are just there to implement them.
    Below is a link to our local library services. Not very stimulating, but if you click on 'home' you will get an idea of how a typical English County Council works. Be warned, you may not find it very interesting!

City/Town councillors are voted into office in the same way as members of Parliament, and in the places with large populations they will be 'full-time' employees, paid for the work they do, and they can all claim 'expenses'. But these people, although in charge are by far the minority of the 'pen-pushers' in local govt. jobs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gloucestershire Libraries

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

Cindy, too bad about your library. Since I have lived where I do (33 years), my branch library has gone from some shelves in the neighborhood high school library to a small building behind the police station, to a new building that is decent sized and pretty nice. Just lately I've read in the newspaper that ours will become a regional branch and move into a new building with expanded contents to be completed in 2008.

I worked downtown for years and used the main library and still do go there pretty often, but I do go to my branch quite a bit and especially since I can order on line and pick up the books there. Of course, I seldom just run in and pick up the books on hold. It seems a pity not to check to see what they might have on the shelves while I'm there.

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

popi, it is really lovely to read everyone's thoughts and experiences with their library. I understand what you mean about the "feel" of a library. Even when I lived in the next town over I rarely used that library, liking my home town one best. Well it is new, has a rental rack, and all the shelves are still only 1/3 to 1/2 full and yet has many more books than the other 2 libraries on the island.

cc, I didn't realize there was a difference between interlibrary vs. interbranch loans. I live in a very tiny state and all the libraries in the state are part of the CLAN system and all the books I request come from that system. Does this mean they are all branches, do you think, or different libraries? I hate to think I am costing the library system so much. I don't think they mail the books because occasionally I have seen a man bring boxes of books in on a dolly, and he is dressed in regular clothes.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Interlibrary loan books come with a paper strap wrapped around the front cover, saying that it is an Interlibrary loan, noting the sending library, and when it is due back-often the sending library sets that. We've gotten books from across the country. We can't use the computer to check those out-the recipient has to sign a form that they've picked up the book,which goes back to HQ (the big downtown central branch.)
    Interbranch, I would think, would all belong to the same system-they do here. Ask your librarian. We have daily weekday deliveries in-between branches, and we can take a book out at one branch and return it to another-we're all the same library according to the computer-one big house, many rooms.

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cc, thanks for the explantions. Interbranch seems like what I have here, but just out of curiosity I may ask one of the library staff.
    I hope in my retirement life to be on the library staff. Most everyone I work with wants to be a greeter at Wal-Mart (we are nurses and the stress level of a greeter seems less than nursing) but I want to stock the library shelves. There is a retired nurse doing just that and when I run into her I say, "I want your job!"
    I will probably wind up working per diem at the hospital like most of the other retired nurses though.

• veer
    17 years ago

gbg, what is a greeter at Wal-Mart?

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Just what it sounds like-a friendly face at the door, offering shopping carts, directions, suggestions-they are usually people of retirement age and I've never seen a grumpy one-unlike sometimes farther inside the store.....another story. When my daughter was on crutches, they set her up in a motorized cart-at the age of 14! She thought she was living large. Only bumped into one display-and I caught it before it hit the ground. hehehehe!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

A greeter?! I thought that's what we all wanted not to end up as! It's what it sounds like: they say hello to everyone who walks in the door. Theoretically anyway. Most of the ones here are ancient and sit in a chair never smiling.

• veer
    17 years ago

I am amazed! Do they employ another person to say 'Goodbye' when you leave?
    Over here you are far more likely to see a security official at the door of a large store, 'wired up' to some unseen control centre. For some reason the very sight of them makes me feel guilty although I really am a most law-abiding citizen. ;-(

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The greeters here are nice middle-aged to elderly people or some younger ones that are physically-challenged (confined to wheelchairs). And actually at our store there is a "Good-bye" person sitting at the exit door but I think he mainly keeps an eye to make sure everyone went through the registers. But he is very pleasant and always has a "goodby, have a nice day" or some such to say.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

I think the greeters here must be hired for their big smiles. I especially like the little old men that still know how to flirt a little.....and do it!

it's not too many places that will allow Seniors a chance to add to that Social Security check. It's a few hours a couple of times a week. Money and a chance to get out of the house and see people. It's hard to beat an opportunity like that.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

I've seen greeters used at our local hospitals, too. Good to have when you are feeling lost in the labyrinth of hallways and lobbies.

• deep___roots
    17 years ago

If you ever see me enter a Wal-mart, shoot me. But we were talking libraries, no? Libraries, YEA!, Wal-mart, BOO!

I have 3 library cards which allow me to check out stuff from 3 different library districts. Cities around here usually run their own library or group of libraries (I think Palo Alto has 3 or 4 branches!).

One change from when I was a little kid is the MEDIA sections most libraries have now. Tapes, DVD's, CD's and such for lending. Definitely creates more traffic in the library.

And libraries are not as quiet as in the past. "SSSHHHH"

One type of book I like that libraries lend are the big, "coffee-table" type books on Art. I would never buy one of those books, but they are quite nice to look at for a while.

My pet peeve at libraries is when a Mom or Dad selects 50 or more of those skinny children's books for their kid and I'm behind them in the checkout line. Isn't there a limit?!!!! And if there are bars or railings to indicate the "queue" line for check-out, the little kids will always treat those as gymnastics bars and swing and climb on them.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Our limit is 250 books, 10 DVDS and/or videos. Our loan period is two weeks for books, 1 week for videos. I love seeing a child helping to tote home a big bag of books-when I am checking them out, we often engage in conversations about any old friends or new titles they have chosen. But the railing thing bugs me. The teacher in me usually has me says omething-but them I'm sitting behind the desk.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

I don't think there should be a limit, but an express checkout lane would be nice (we also have those automated things that are fine once you get used to it)

I wish libraries were quieter. I don't want to go back to the days of tomblike silence, but kids running everywhere and screaming, people talking loudly on their cell phones, even librarians explaining something tend to be loud. I bring in a sony walkman if I know its gonna be busy at the library. Otherwise I'd probably never walk in the door.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

We have one of those automated check-outs. I love it! Our closest branch is small and badly arranged. The non-fiction and reference sections are upstairs, while the fiction and children's section is down. I hate climbing the stairs or riding the scary slow elevator to see what's new in the non-fiction area. And they have some seriously weird people working up there in the reference area. I think they have hidden them up there on purpose. LOL

They are talking about building a big new branch farther out and closing this one. I would hate that, even if it meant more shelf space. I can still find enough things that I haven't read to keep me happy for a long, long time.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

We have two signs that (should) hit patrons in the face when they come in...cell phone use is prohibited, please turn yours off, and, your children are your responsibility, please keep them with you at all times.
    Last week we had three under 7s running wild in the children's side-"where's your mother?" "She's next door," (at the pharmacy)-we waited and waited, babysitting, only to discover that mom wasn't next door, she was on the public access computer in another, connected, room. For 35 minutes. How she missed the shreiks that brought on our intial intervention I don't know-unless she is deaf to them from overexposure. We did have to have a little talk-she was indignant with US-big surprise.

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have that same sign about cell phones in our library entryway. We are not even allowed to talk on our phone in the lobby even thought it is sort of separate from the library.
    So far I haven't noticed unruly children in the library being a problem. The Children's section is at one end of the building, then there is the check-out desk...not automated and no railings, but 4-5 stations which will be manned as need arises..... and then the audio visual section is directly in front of the desk, then there is a short area when the New Books and Rental Shelves are with the magazines behind them, then the glassed in computer room, then the Adult room. Just one long line-up and after hearing about some of the other libraries a good design. The Adult room is always nice and quiet with comfy chairs stashed here and there.
    In the children's room one of the maintenace men built a playhouse, it looks on the outside like townhouses but the kids can go in and sit and read, or do a puzzle , plus the kids have their own computer section. Lots of activities for kids too....story hour, craft things, special events, using the downstairs meeting rooms.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

A while back I was looking up stuff on the library computer. I hear from the other end of the room a kid calling DADDY DADDY. No one thought he was out of line. I said something under my breath just as the kid found daddy - the guy next to me. I said it would be nice if he used a quieter voice to find you. He said, hey, he's just a kid. I said I was half his age and still knew how to behave. The guy shrugged and went away.

• granjan
    17 years ago

Don't get me started on people and their little darlings. I am continually telling myself, it's NOT the kids it's the parents. And it is and they of course are ALWAYS upset that you would be displeased with anything about the darlings behavior. Actually I think they behave better in the library because there are books to entertain them.

• lemonhead101
    17 years ago

I love my library, but one of the ongoing problems that we have is a group of homeless people who tend to congregate there and bug the patrons every now and then. I understand the attraction - there is nowhere else to hang out all day with air conditioning and bathrooms and if I was homeless then I would be there, but please leave me alone.

A homeless woman bugged me for money the other day. Very irritating (for me) and not fruitful for her. I have asked the librarians if they can do anything, but they can't. Something about this being a public place and people can hang there as long as they want. They're just not supposed to panhandle.

I think it's because the library is pretty close, geographically speaking, to the shelters and the shelters kick out their residents during the day so they have nowhere to go.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

I think all libraries struggle with that problem-I know we do at all the branches. It is a public facility, cool in summer,w arm in winter, and relatively safe-safer than wandering the streets, anyway. The downtown branch is the worst-the basement rooms where the nonfiction and reference materials are kept can be downright scary. As soon as the library opens, people go down, choose a table and sit down...for the day. Some sprawl across and sleep, others read the papers, and others talk to their invisible companions. Sometimes it is hard to find a table at which to work, because they would rather not share. There have been incidents when the police were called when someone became belligerent or threatening, and one man was arrested for the comments he made to little girls, but for the most part there is little a library can do.
    We've even had a couple incidents in our little branch. The restrooms are right across from the circ. desk in the branch where I volunteer, and one day a young man came in carrying a backpack and went into the men's room. Now, unfortunately, the door is fairly thin and we can hear EVERYTHING that happens in there-and for the next 15 minutes or so, we heard the toilet flushing, water running, papertowels being pulled off the roll, more water, more papertowels, the backpack being unzipped...and he finally came out, with damp hair and clean face, in different clothes. We think he took a bath in there. He then sat and read the newspaper for a while, thanked us, and left. We've never seen him again.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

We have a couple of regular homeless folk who spend the day in the library. They've never bothered anyone - but then our city is pretty strict about panhandling. But its a pity - why in the world can't the shelters be available during the day? Why are these people left to deal with the elements (here its the searing heat, other places the cold)?

Whats sad is that many are mentally ill, and there's no where for them to go. Reagan in his infinite wisdom decided that we needed to release people from the state institutions and allow them to be treated locally. Thats fine if there is enough resources in a community to handle the influx. Instead, many end up on the street. Or in the library. Sad, what we do to our most needy.

• rouan
    17 years ago

I used to work in a library; it was my all-time favorite job. Imagine, I got paid to have fun! I worked the children's area, which is on the ground level of the building (actually the basement, but light and airy). The adult level materials are located on the first floor and the meeting rooms and offices on the third floor. I'd be working there still if my husband hadn't been promoted and transferred. I still miss it even though it's been nearly 4 years since we moved here. Now I work for a credit union and visit the local libraries on my lunch break.

• cjoseph
    17 years ago

Reagan had nothing to do with deinstitutionalization. It began as a civil rights movement in the sixties and was largely complete by the time he was elected president.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Our library is participating in a mass reading-I think it covers the nearby counties as well. The book was announced last week-The Kite Runner-and there will be presentations and discussion groups in September. Are any other libraries doing a similar program? I believe the idea started a few years ago in Chicago, with To Kill A Mockingbird..

• granjan
    17 years ago

We have a program, Berkeley Reads Together. The Friends of the Library give out free books on a certain day.

Last month was The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez. This month is Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas. All the books this summer are by immigrants to CA.

I confess I have not participated because I don't pay enough attention to the notices. I do intend to eventually read the books. I will buy Funny in Farsi since the experience is so similar to my BIL's.

• deep___roots
    17 years ago

Reagan did the deinstitutionalization thing as governor of California in the late 60's, early 70's. You could look it up. Not that I'm esp. interested in a debate about it. Just pointing this fact out. Cheers deep

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

politics are the dark side-don't go there here.

***Last year our library did the book The White about a local historic event, written by a professor at my DD's college-which is just a few counties over-so the author was able to do some readings and presentations-it definitely added to the interest. I'm anxious to see the reaction to The Kiterunner, which might be more controversial.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

deep, you are right - it was as governor. Problem was that other states followed suite - thats why I'm probably coming up with 80s. But knowing that it happened is key to understanding the myraid of complexities in dealing with issues of homelessness, substance abuse and mental illness.

I'm not sure how Kiterunner could be controversial - unless you mean because of the choices made (it took me a while to get passed the narrators inaction till I could continue reading). The book itself is an excellent look at pre war Afghanistan, as well as the Afghani immigrants in California.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

We have a problem in the city library I frequent with the homeless, too. In fact, the library is close to the railroad tracks and I have seen their wooden pallettes and other detritus there under the bushes. One can see them lingering on the benches, often, just waiting for the library to open up, particularly on days when the weather is extreme. It's a great pity.

I can see why Kiterunner might be considered controversial in today's political climate in the US (one or two scenes in particular that I recall).

I have no less than 5 library cards. (some are city, some county, one Univeristy). Another ex librarian here (runs in the family -- my late aunt was a city librarian in Atlanta, way back in the 1920's.)

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Kiterunner is also a hard read emotionally. I'm just not sure it was a great choice for a program designed to get non-readers reading. Most of my reading friends have all ready read it, and most don't plan to read again, so they are also left out of the mix. However, I'm not sure I'd want to be charged with determining the book! Not sure what I would suggest, although they did October Sky and that was very well-received and lots of people read it and participated in the activities.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Is it Kiterunner or Kite Runner (sorry, you can take the teacher out of school, but.... :)

Oh, I loved October Sky, read it right after I saw the movie, excellent book (and a decent movie adaptation of the book as well)

Mmmm - what type of books would you choose for non readers to read? I agree - not sure KR would have been my choice. But not sure what others I'd pick.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

mea culpa
    Kite Runner

but who cares-it's raining! (For a little while, anyway.)

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Oh I know, just being pedantic :) And its thundering as we speak, so it will probably rain. Of course, I did just get my car washed so it figures. Just hope it does so before I have to get my kids off the bus. We have a bit of a walk from that curb to the classroom....

Our regular school librarian has been in and out of the hospital for cancer the last few years. She hasn't started back at school yet, but there's a sub. I was chatting with her and my god what is she doing in the library? She retired 10 years ago, says she wasn't planning to do this more than a week, and that there is more to life then work (true, but then why did she do this?) Heard from one of the kindergarten teachers that she's a drill sargent. Great - we want to teach children the joys of libraries, and this witch is gonna spoil it all.

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

While at the library yesterday I realized that I don't browse like I used to do because I already have a "list" and with the online library services I know what's available. I did browse yesterday because I had some extra time and I recalled that I use to work with a nurse who, and this was before internet book boards, would on one trip to the library browse through the "A's" and choose a few books and the next trip the "B's" and so forth. I never thought of doing that. Has anyone else ever done that? I like the idea of it.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

I did that in HS at my branch library. Probably went through the stacks at least two times before I was finished. A good systematic way to browse.

Now I am too lazy - I go and see whats on the 'new' stacks, check out a few fav authors, and then aim for the books I'm really looking for.

• cardamom
    17 years ago

ccrdmrbks, I haven't read The Kite Runner but since 9/11, libraries around the country have participated in The September Project. This could be something your library is doing as part of this.
    I put the link below. Some area libraries work together on the same book or idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: The September Project

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

I checked yesterday when I was in picking up my 7!!! arrived requests-goody goody goody!
    What we do is called 'One Book, One Community' which is also national. In addition to the discussions and movie screenings, there will be knitting classes, the idea being to have hundreds of hats and mittens to send to Afghanistani children for the winter. I've tried to learn to knit before and failed, but I might give it one more try.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Book One Community

• gooseberrygirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cindy, your routine is pretty much my MO now. But in my browsing I did check out a couple of books that looked interesting. When I am working I don't have as much time for browsing as I would like.

gbg