SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

FOTESS NOV. SWAP - "A Garden and a Library"

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
―Cicero

In order to participate you must be a member of FOTESS (Friend of the Earth Simple Swaps). If you might like to join the group, you are welcome to check with me about membership.

A simple but fun swap for this month. It's a time to be thankful and we have so much to be thankful for and this month will focus on our gardens and books about gardens. Great games to check out so watch as they are posted. The swap part will be simply to send a card to one assigned person with the theme of Thanksgiving or simply thankfulness. The card can be bought or handmade.

Join Cicero and others (book lovers of all kinds, gardeners, philosophers) for our November FOTESS swap. This only involves one card so let someone in the group enjoy some personal mail in her mailbox. Post here that you want to participate by Nov. 8. Please mail by Nov. 18 and post when you mail and when you receive. (Hoping the cards will arrive in time for Thanksgiving.)

Begin to score some points even now. For the remainder of the month, suggest books that you really enjoyed or got you pondering about life - these must include a garden. Add the author in case someone else might enjoy it. Tell us about gardening information books, the good and the bad in terms of if it was helpful. Any time a garden book is mentioned in a post, you get 1 point. However, look over the ones that have already been posted since it will only count for the first person who posts that book. You are, however, encouraged to comment on the book if you've read it.

Also planned are a photo scavenger hunt (autumn style) and a game where you match clues and fill in the blanks (Wheel of Fortune style). Posting more about them soon!

Comments (116)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Margo, I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley. Dogs are definitely part of the family and I know how sad your whole family is. Thinking of you!

I think I'm early enough to get my Thanksgiving card to go out in the mail today. I'm going to give it a try anyway. With the storm yesterday I didn't get much done, but things are okay here following the storm and that's what's important.

Our Photo Scavenger Hunt for the upcoming week:

1. Napkin for setting your table (paper or cloth)

2. Apple (an actual apple or representation of one)

3. Pie (an actual pie or representation of one)

4. A picture of a spice or seasoning that you usually use in cooking for Thanksgiving

5. Cranberries, cranberry sauce, or what you typically serve it in

• canyonwind
    last year

Scavenger picture hunt....I have #1, #2, #4 ad #5

1. napkin

2. apples

3.XXXX no pie yet

4. Spice....nutmeg and cinnamon sticks

5. cranberry sauce serving pieces

picture will not post here, so I will follow up with pic in a minute

• Related Discussions

new: fotess swap for november

Q

Comments (111)
    Jeanne, South Carolina...nice win yesterday!! I used to go to Notred Dame / USC games every other year when ND was out here playing. The tailgating is a blast and I love the games but it became so much work once it was time to get to your seat. Of course, major changes after 9-11. The last time I went to a ND/USC game (after 9-11), after tailgating for several hours, we headed in to the stadium an hour and a half hour prior to kickoff and did not get to our seats until halftime. I am very BIG on security but decided tiz better to watch on TV...LOL! Jayeanne, your Crimsin Tide.....are you OK after that devastating loss yesterday? Great game...but that final second......oh my!!! And my beloved Fighting Irish.....they lost, of course, to Stanford, which I expected would happen. However, Stanford did not blow them away. Final 27-20. Turnovers, turnovers, get ya everytime!! Jeanne, thanks again for Football In The Garden...FUN! The FOTESSERS, great group! Happy Sunday!! Annie
    ...See More

new: nov. fotess swap: corny cards

Q

Comments (150)
    Happy Pre Thanksgiving everyone!! Or should I say Prep Thanksgiving, lol. Half the day we're chopping and getting ready for tomorrow. We have 9 coming for dinner tomorrow. Kids are so excited!! Jeanne, I want to add my THANK YOU!! for this wonderful swap!! Sorry for my delay in mailing, but, I did love it :D Annie, THANK YOU for jumping in with all the wonderful games :) So much fun!! I hung my sparkly Lady Liberty up so she can enjoy Thanksgiving. Tomorrow night we put up the tree with family. A tradition we have had since I was a very little girl with my grandfather. Don't know how much "Black Thursday" shopping I'm going to get done. Probably none. My kids want such off the wall things this year, that most stores don't even have what they are looking for,lol. Found a great science catalog for some of Billy's things, still looking for Taylor, lol. Love my unique kids :D Have a great day everyone!!! vina
    ...See More

Part 2: NOV. FOTESS SWAP - A Month to Celebrate Native Americans

Q

Comments (64)
    Hello Gardening friends, I have been so sick for the past 2 and a half weeks. I thought I was over it so I went back to work well I wasn't. Today is the first day out of the bed. I did received canyonwind package. Ann it was great. Thank you so very much. It really lifted my sick spirits. Ann sent me Handmade card of an American native mask. A recipe for Seminole Fried Green Tomatoes. I am going to try it. Xeriscaping Magazine 2 Native American designed kitchen towels. A pair of holiday socks. Seeds: Sand Verbena Sunflower, Citrus Gourd, small Fancy mix Moonflower, Giant White Morning Glory, Heavenly Blue Spanish Flag Vine Holly Hock, Henry Hock and Pink Agastache Scarlet Runner Bean Sweet Corn, Triple Crown Yellow Summer Squash Garden Bean, Cherokee Wax Several succulent starts and a Echeveria 'Paul Bunyan' Thank you so very much. Faye!
    ...See More

FOTESS SWAPS - Hostess Sign Ups by Month for 2022

Q

Comments (16)
    Jan. Feb. - Jeanne Mar. - Susan N Apr. - Ruth Z May - Annie June July Aug. Sept. - Ruth Z Oct. - Annie Nov. - Jeanne Dec. Thanks again, Annie. I signed myself up for February. I can certainly take another month later but I'm trying to leave some months open for those who may have a special preference.
    ...See More
  • canyonwind
    last year

• canyonwind
    last year

Big problems posting pics here...not sure why.

Info and recipe book...I believe Ruth sent this to me several years ago. 

Penzeys Spices...Spring 2016...it is more of a catalog I think. Great chili pepper info.

• canyonwind
    last year

,Margo, Bless Bentley....I am so sorry for the loss of your "family member"

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Just quickly checking in. I will total up the newly added book points soon. Great picture, Annie. Sorry you had trouble posting it. I'll be sure to round up some of my items for a picture soon.

• smitties
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks everyone. Since we lost both our fur babies within 4 months, it’s been super rough.

I gathered all the scavenger items in one picture. The bowl is what we serve the cranberries in. It’s one of my favorites.

I mull the cinnamon sticks in cide. Such a wonderful aroma.

• bluee19
    last year

Ahhh I am sorry Margo about your fur babies!! Sending you hugs!!!

Shirley ~ I message you through Houzz to get your address.

Happy Monday everyone!!!

• ruthz
    last year

Our Photo Scavenger Hunt for the upcoming week:

1. Napkin for setting your table (paper or cloth)

2. Apple (an actual apple or representation of one)

3. Pie (an actual pie or representation of one) (pumpkin pie to be baked)

4. A picture of a spice or seasoning that you usually use in cooking for Thanksgiving

5. Cranberries, cranberry sauce, or what you typically serve it in (cranberry sauce bowl)

• ruthz
    last year

Margo, so sorry about your fur babies. I know how hard it is.

• smitties
    last year

As I mentioned, I collect cookbooks and love combining that with my gardens. Here is another favorite.

• canyonwind
    last year

Sweet Potato Pie...maybe with a bottom crust or not

• canyonwind
    last year

Great book about fruit, vegetables, chicken etc...everything food...The World Of Food by Eva Medved...

• canyonwind
    last year

My card was sent out today (Tuesday, Pacific time).....

• smitties
    last year

Shirley, replied to your message but it was acting weird. Not sure you fot it but the one you have from our address list should be correct. Lake Waynoka

thanks Margo

• brittneysgran
    last year

Margo yes that's the one I have...thanks

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

I received my lovely card and an extra tuck in from Margo. Thanks so much. I've been trying to get caught up with things around the house and upcoming family birthdays so I'll be on for a longer time on Fri. trying to update the count and posting some of my pictures for the photo scavenger hunt. Sorry to keep everyone waiting. November is a busier than usual month here. It has turned much colder as predicted. Rain and gloomy all day yesterday.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Jeanne sends to Mandy - sent

Mandy sends to Annie

Annie sends to Nicole - sent

Nicole sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Margo

Margo sends to Jeanne - received

Beth sends to Ruth

Ruth sends to Beth - sent

• ruthz
    last year

Card was mailed today.

• l1oness
    last year

Hello everyone! Its a very snowy day here in SW Michigan. My card went in the mail this evening, and I received the card from Jeanne today.

Thank you Jeanne! It's a lovely card with a happy "Thinking of You" theme.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Jeanne sends to Mandy - received

Mandy sends to Annie - sent

Annie sends to Nicole - sent

Nicole sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Margo

Beth sends to Ruth

I want to run my errands and guess where I'm going --- yes, to the LIBRARY.

We got frost last night and Brrr, it's cold. I put my electric blanket on the bed yesterday so I was happy to have it last night.

I'll check in again later.

• bluee19
    last year

PS: Thank you for the added scent you put on the card and the work you did in making the card for me. Happy Early Thanksgiving!!!

Thank you Canyonwind for the lovely handmade card you made!

• smitties
    last year

I love crafting so crafting from my gardens for others is something I love to do.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Margo, crafting from the garden is a fun thing for me to do also.

Sorry because I feel like I'm not posting much. Will be sure to add more later. Heading out soon to buy my turkey so it can thaw. I got so cold last evening that I decided I wasn't going out today until it warmed up a bit. We're having temperatures in the 20s and 30s at night and it just started a few days ago and too much of an extreme, especially right after the hurricane/tornado threat.

I used to live in upstate NY and some there are sure getting snowed in. Hope everyone is dealing okay with the weather.

Annie sends to Nicole - received

Nicole sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Margo

Beth sends to Ruth

• Beth Brownberry
    last year

tested positive for covid again so I will not be mailing before Monday or Tuesday. So far, not as miserable as first time....

• smitties
    last year

Received my card today. Thankyou Shirley, I do plan to gave a wonderdul holiday. We are headed to see the kids and grands in South Carolina tomorrow.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Have a safe trip, Margo!

Beth, so sorry you have COVID again. Please take care of yourself.

Nicole sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Margo - received

Beth sends to Ruth

I was supposed to go on a walking tour of Cary this morning and was really looking forward to it. I usually love cold weather but this just dropped too quickly for me to adjust so I skipped it. I think it went down to about 30 last night and I didn't want to be on a walking tour in the morning in that weather. Maybe from now on if it's Nov. they will offer the tour in the afternoon. Normally, morning would be great.

I don't think I've shared that I will be cooking the Thanksgiving turkey for the first time ever this year. I'm pretty excited about it but a bit intimidated, too. My husband knew how to cook a turkey and always got it done perfectly as well as the dressing, so once we got married he always did it. Before that it was going out to eat or my parents or great aunt who cooked dinner. So far I've read the label on my turkey and it says it should thaw in the refrigerator in 3-4 days. Any hints? It does have a pop up timer which I think is a great feature.

What does everyone have for sides and desert? Typical for us is a fruit cup with sherbet to begin and then the turkey and dressing (made with ground sausage, mushrooms, onions and celery plus extra sage, lots of butter and the bagged mix). Some of the vegetables and the desert varies but we typically have crescent rolls and sweet potato casserole plus 1-2 more vegetables and a desert or 2 included as well. Can't wait to enjoy the taste and aroma!

• smitties
    last year

Since I enjoy raising monarch caterpillars to butterflies, I love this book. I am trying to attract certain varieties of butterflies.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, I haven't updated the total on the books yet. I'll do it soon and post a few of the books I have enjoyed as well. I suspect everyone is busy thinking about Thanksgiving plans.

I did take a picture for the photo scavenger hunt but haven't moved it to the computer yet.

Another cold night here - heading down to the mid 20's. I think most of the rest of the week will be cold and some rain as well. I brought some plants in from the screened porch to try to overwinter in the house. I used to do it in the garage at my other house but I don't think there will be enough light in this one. Will see how it goes. I don't really have convenient places near windows inside the house either. Lots of windows, just there is furniture that needs to be in those places and other places where i need the space to pull out chairs, open doors, etc. I will at least give it a try.. My begonias are blooming beautifully right now.

• smitties
    last year

It took a while for the outside plants to succumb to the cold but last week, they could not hang on anymore.

I brought in several plants to winter over although I tried to convince myself not to. Because we are an A frame house, windows are minimal and since there is so many trees, so is light. The brighest room is the living room and I don’t want them all in there. I rigged up my grow light again suspended from the wall beams so I’ll see how that goes.

• bluee19
    last year

Sorry for the delay Shirley!! i am mailing out your card today.

• canyonwind
    last year

Mandy, thank you so much for the Joyful Thanksgiving card and seeds....Flowering Kale...love this stuff! Enjoy Thanksgiving with your family...

• brittneysgran
    last year

Nicole no problem..will let you know when it arrives.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Update:

Mandy sends to Annie - received

Nicole sends to Shirley - sent

Beth sends to Ruth - will send soon

I'm sorry I didn't get more done then to check on the postings today. I noticed some water leaking in my garage and had to get a plumber out to check my hot water heater. That's where it's coming from so I was dealing with that. They will come to replace it tomorrow afternoon. At least I still have hot water - just don't want to ignore it for long and then get a flood. So Thanksgiving is going to be "interesting". Not even sure my daughter and her family will be able to come on Thursday. They have been sick with a cold that is going from one to another. Just hope everyone will be well by then,

Hopefully I can check in again tomorrow. If not, for sure I will drop in on Thanksgiving to wish you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving.

• canyonwind
    last year

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!! Be safe!

• ruthz
    last year

Ditto to what Annie said.

I am most Thankful for my Family.

• bluee19
    last year

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving Everyone!! Days are going way too fast in my honest opinion!!

Take care everyone!!

• Beth Brownberry
    last year

I got my card mailed and hope it reaches Ruth today or tomorrow. Oldest daughter brought me dinner yesterday and I am still working on eating it. Great to have family nearby but better yet to feel up to visiting and eating together. Have a good weekend.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

I haven't forgotten about you. Just didn't sleep well for a few nights now so I'm moving a bit slowly. I want to take down the Thanksgiving and Fall decorations while there is daylight so I'll be back on later.

• brittneysgran
    last year

Nicole thank you for my Thanksgiving card and seeds Anise and Sunflower Sunspot Dwarf. I'm already getting excited about planting my seeds for 2023.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Nicole sends to Shirley - received

Beth sends to Ruth - will send soon

Again, sorry to be slow about posting. The few days before Thanksgiving were very busy here and as you can see, I haven't found much spare time since then either, Not a bit of shopping done, but I have started on decorating. I have a class I'll be attending tomorrow morning but I'll pop in later and wrap up the games and prizes for this month. Thanks so much to all who participated.

Beth, I hope you're feeling better.

• Beth Brownberry
    last year

I mailed to Ruth a week ago...hope it has arrived OK. Finally got over the virus and functioning "normally" again. Kids at school seem happy to be back in the classroom again.

• ruthz
    last year

Beth, sorry I have not received the card yet.

I will double check tomorrow. I'm not the one to normally bring the mail in, but I didn't see it in the slots we use for mail. I'll look tomorrow to see if it might have fallen behind something or put in the wrong slot.

I mailed your card 13 days ago but don't see that you've received it. That would be wierd if they both got lost.

• Beth Brownberry
    last year

Ruth, sorry I goofed. Thought I had posted that I receive your card and seeds but I sure can't find it now.( yours arrived the day that I mailed) Not sure if it is the virus or the meds that generate the brain fog but I sure had it. I'd like to think that the kids at school and my family have had our round of virus for this year and are now, DONE with it for a few months.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Don't feel bad, ladies. I fully intended to get online this afternoon and wrap up things for this swap - was so tired I took a long nap. I'll be back tomorrow.

Also, a reminder that we still need people to volunteer to be hostess for a month (or maybe 2) for 2023. See the heading for that.

• ruthz
    last year

Jeanne, Thank you for hosting a fun swap this month.

I never did remember the name of two other novels I read that featured gardens. I keep meaning to keep a list of the books I read. I started the list but don't always add to it. And it would only be partial anyway as I've been reading forever.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Nicole sends to Shirley - received

Beth sends to Ruth - sent

Ruth sends to Beth - received

Ladies, I'm going to post some garden books (non-fiction) that I've enjoyed quite a lot.

I have copies of all of these on my bookshelves. Of course, the "southern" ones might not be useful if you don't live in the south.

This first author has passed away but was in the S.C. Master Gardeners and the kindest and most knowledgeable person who did a lot for the group. Margot Rochester - her 2 books are:

Earthly Delights

Down to Earth

Both are the type of books you can read again and again. The following I consult again and again.

The Southern Living Garden Book

Burpee Seed Starter

Tough Plants for Southern Gardens - Felder Rushing

Southern Herb Growing - Marlene Hill, Gwen Barclay with Jean Hardy

The Southern Gardens Book of Lists - Lois Trigg Chaplin

China Bayles Book of Days - Susan Wittig Albert

My dog has been waiting patiently for her dinner so I'll take care of that and then add to this with our winners for November. Thanks for joining in!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

I went through the list to see who our winners are this month:

Annie wins for Number of Books Posted, the Wheel of Fortune type game and ties for the Photo Scavenger Hunt Game.

Margo also ties for the Photo Scavenger Hunt Game.

It might take a a few days to mail out prizes, but I won't forget and thank you everyone for playing the games. Your posts and pictures made November a much more fun month for me!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry everyone. The prizes have not gone out to the winners yet. I want to make something to send and will get it done so your package arrives before Christmas!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    last year

Finally the prizes have been mailed to Annie and Margo. I hope they arrive safely.

• canyonwind
    last year

Jeanne, thank you so much for my fantastic prizes!!! WONDERFUL!! Merry Christmas!!