SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Online Book Buying Adventure

J C
12 years ago

Last week I attended a lecture by author Eric Lax. He is a wonderful speaker and told the story of how the discovery of penicillin came to be attributed to Alexander Fleming when indeed other men were just as responsible for its development. I came home and immediately purchased a used copy from an Amazon seller. (He did not bring copies of the books and actually suggested trying to find a used copy.) Today I went to the post office and lo and behold, a package was waiting for me! Ah, the feeling of holding a package, knowing what is inside! I waited until I got home, made a coffee and opened the envelope. Out came the book with a glossy blonde on the cover...somehow I don't think this is Dr. Florey. No, it is someone named Shannon Tweed (with Julie McCarron) and the book is called Kiss and Tell. Apparently she is very beautiful and lives with Gene Simmons, who is a rock star or something.

What a letdown! Now in the huge scheme of things, this isn't too serious. Actually it is laughable. And I am sure the bookseller will make good. But I keep looking at this book and wondering whom on earth would read it? I leafed through it, saw something about Ms. Tweed firing a housekeeper and getting sued, and bragging about how she does her own grocery shopping. I know I sound like a snob, but who would read this? How does this even get published? The price is $19 Canadian. Yikes! Has someone here actually read this book, and found it to be highly worthwhile?

Comments (7)