SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Reading in the merry month of May

rosefolly
17 years ago

After a couple months of not reading much, or at least, not reading much new, I have read three books in a row that I really liked. Pretty Birds I mentioned on the April thread. I ought to mention that my book club was divided on this book, and that as many disliked it as liked it.

The next one was The Annotated Pride and Prejudice. I loved it. While I have read P&P a number of times over the years, it was time for a new reading anyway. I was surprised how much I had forgotten, and how much my memory of the story was formed by the three movies I've watched in the past few years. While some of the annotatios were a bit repetitive ('temper' is defined every time it appears), I was surprised to learn how much I thought I knew and didn't, or knew in a hazy way but not clearly. Reading this book added to the richness of my understanding.

Finally, last night I finished Chitra Bannejee Divakaruni's Queen of Dreams. I bought this when it first came out, but buried it at the bottom of my TBR pile. It resembled her earlier novel Mistress of Spices in that it is magical realism. I think I need to read it again to decide about it. Some issues in the relationship of the main character and her former husband that were left unresolved bother me, but I don't know that this is a flaw in the book. It might just be a flaw in me, needing all my i's dotted and my t's crossed to feel comfortable.

Rosefolly

Comment (1)