SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnymph2_gw

It's March, already! What are you reading?

woodnymph2_gw
14 years ago

I just finished Marcel Pagnol's wonderful duo, his coming-of age memoirs about his early childhood in southern France: "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle." Such a treat to read, with marvelous depictions of the unique landscape, folkways, foods, and family life of Provence at the turn of the last century. I can almost smell the wild thyme and the roasting partridge.... These are books after my own heart.

Now I am thoroughly engrossed in "The White Garden" by Stephanie Barron, a fictional mystery based on the life of Virginia Woolf. It reminds me somewhat of "Possession". At any rate, it is "unputdownable." (coining a new word).

Waiting on the TBR pile is "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." I was finally able to find the S. Larrson books, after a long wait.

Comments (136)

• ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

I have that rare thing this time of year-a weekend without a deadline on the other side of it. Next one is almost TWO WEEKS away! So while the boys are all inside watching nonstop college basketball, I plan to take the weekend and read a whole book. Outside. In the sunshine. With a tea tray. and cookies. Then later, wine. Bliss.

Either Lousie Penny's Brutal Telling or Thunderstruck by Erik Larsen.

• annpan
    14 years ago

Sarah: I have requested the Chet and Bernie first book which is in our library system. I like animal detective books if they act like normal! I have problems getting all the books that I get recommendations for. I did get a series "Bones....etc." featuring a dog and cat and enjoyed them. The dog did dog things and the cat slept a lot in between their kind of detecting. One character remarked in a non-animal detective book that if she saw her cat using the computer and fax machine, she would take it to the veterinarian! My cat called an emergency number once but that was because he jumped onto the phone and hit a programmed number. I made sure that could not happen again!

• Related Discussions

Gasp! It's March already - time to plan MAGTAG 2010

Q

Comments (4)
    I finally started some seeds on Saturday - I planted lots of Scarabs and DelMars, since they never germinated last year. I hope some sprout by next weekend so I can start more varieties (I only have one heat mat). BTW, did anybody see the March issue of Martha Stewart Living? There's an article by Barbara Damrosch about a tomato tasting that she, Martha, Tim Stark (Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer), and two NY chefs attended, which was hosted by Amy Goldman (The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table). They used printed cards to rate the varieties, but then there were only a few folks invited, so that procedure worked fine. Just like at MAGTAG, "Black Cherry" was a hit. I went online to see if I could email a letter to the editor mentioning MAGTAG, but Marthastewartdotcom doesn't seem to have any way to do this. Maybe Martha just doesn't want to listen to anybody's comments. I did think it was sweet that Damrosch humbly referred to herself as "a farmer from Maine." Ya gotta love that gal.
    ...See More

MARCH: What are you reading?

Q

Comments (143)
    Finished War and Peace. He does go on a bit about history and historians....tends to repeat himself. Nowadays, I think the book would have been severely edited. There is an abridged version being released in the UK (along with several other classics) in June. In general, I don't approve of this sort of thing. But, it has to be admitted, it would probably do no serious harm for most people to War and Peace to take the scissors to it...!! (Blasphemy, I know.) Now I need something a little lighter. So, being reminded of this book by another thread about a quote, I'm re-reading A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes - one of my favourite books - particularly the first and last chapters.
    ...See More

March! What are you reading?

Q

Comments (115)
    I just heard on the radio that our 'local' author Winifred Foley has died aged 94. I know many of you enjoyed her Child of the Forest which has now been reprinted as Full Hearts and Empty Bellies. If you go to the site below you should be able to hear the interview on iPlayer with her made a few weeks ago. Press 'Listen Now' for today (Tuesday's) prog, or 'Listen Again' after Tuesday. The item is about 10 mins into the programme. It is not easy to understand everything WF says as she is very old and deaf and has a 'Forest' accent but it's well-worth concentrating. Listen out for the bit where she tells the story of receiving a 'doll' for Christmas made of an old black stocking with two odd button eyes. She is so disappointed with Father Christmas that she tells the family that "'im can take the bugger back." Here is a link that might be useful: Winifred Foley Interview
    ...See More

March: What are you reading this month?

Q

Comments (157)
    Frieda - The murder of the minister occurred in 1946, so the protagonist had not been back from the war for very long. Part of his standing in the community was that of a war hero. During his years at war, the army visited the family and told them that he was missing and presumed dead. So that's what the family and believed, of course. In truth, when he fell out of the Bataan Death March, he survived and became a guerilla fighter in the jungle. The description of this character's service in the Philippines was truly horrible. I certainly hope your father did not experience anything that bad, but I had the impression that everything about the war in the Philippines was pretty terrible. If my father had fought there, I don't think I would want to read this book. It's just too heartbreaking. By the way, I believe the American surrender in the Bataan Peninsula was the only surrender of US armed forces in a foreign war.
    ...See More
  • ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

The Rita Mae Brown "Mrs Murphy" and "Sister Jane" series are entertaining in that way. The animals are animals....they do dog and cat and owl and fox things-but they also communicate inter-species and use their superior sense of smell and (just ask them) intellect to push the humans to the solution. Light, fun, relaxing. brain bonbons. a very necessary goodie.

• vickitg
    14 years ago

annpan and CeCe -- That describes Chet. He's most definitely a dog, but he's able to use his natural abilities to help out -- but not to an outrageous degree.

Hope you enjoy the book, annpan.

• ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

Read The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny. Honestly, her prose has an inner radiance that is humbling to read.

• vickitg
    14 years ago

I'm reading "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" and really enjoying it. It's a really fast read with the type of characters I love.

Also still savoring TKAM for discussion.

• junek-2009
    14 years ago

I'm reading "The Elephant Keeper" by Christoper Nicholson and loving it!!!

• Kath
    14 years ago

Cece, while I love Louise Penny's books, I didn't like the end of that one at all - you will know what I mean.

I have nearly finished the forthcoming David Mitchell book, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and it is wonderful. Just the kind of book I like, with a gripping story and some historical fact, and in addition, the writing is so good I have even noticed it! I don't usually notice writing unless it is awful *g*

• twobigdogs
    14 years ago

i just finished The Help. It was a book club choice and I am looking forward to teh discussion. Now I will have to read the thread on RP devoted to this book.

Don't have a clue what to read next. Books everywhere, but I just can't settle on one. Ever had that happen? What do you do?
    PAM

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

Just finished "Sweetness in the Belly" by Camilla Gibbs, a novel about an English girl who has hippy parents who desert her to get raised in the Muslim religion/way of life and then moves to Ethiopia during the awful Haile Selassie/famine times. Then she travels to England to help reunite Ethiopian refugees with family members. Sounds like a very depressing book, and no, it wasn't happy-happy, but it was hopeful. I learned a lot about the Muslim religion and the Quran etc...

Also reading a non-fiction book called "May you be the Mother of one Hundred Sons: A journey among the Women of India" by Elisabeth Bumiller. Fascinating as she visits different sections of India which are vastly different and have different cultural rules for the women in those areas. She covers the rural villages where life for women is very very hard, covers the actresses in the Bollywood scene (who even though they are very "modern" are still under the gun for being women) and now I'm on a chapter about artists in Calcutta: a visual artist, a poet, and a writer... Very interesting indeed and makes me grateful I was not born a poor rural Indian farmer's wife....

Not sure what my fiction book will be next, but may pick up "Bellwether" which is supposed some good sci fi piece...

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

I just finished The Grand Sophy recommended as her best by several of you on the Georgette Heyer thread. I had only read a few of her mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Thanks for the recommendations.

• vannie
    14 years ago

I'm reading "The Likeness" by Tana French and would be interested in any comments anyone might have about this author. It's a first for me.

• junek-2009
    14 years ago

twobigdogs,

I know the feeling, this happens to me heaps!! Especially after you have just finished a gooood book. If a book does not grab me in the first few pages out it goes.
    Keep trying it is nothing for me to scrap five in a row!!!

Just keep trying it will happen.

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird". What a tour de force! Now I am reading "Wildflower" by Mark Seal. This is the true story of a wildlife photographer and conservationist, Joan Root, who was murdered mysteriously in Kenya in 2006.

• reader_in_transit
    14 years ago

Have begun The Bright Forever by Lee Martin, about the disappearance of a nine year old girl in a small town in Indiana in 1972 (it's a novel, not a true story). When I was in transit all the time, I worked two summers near the area of the book's setting. The book takes place in summer, so I can see the landscape in my mind.

The book mentions many songs, some of them from that time, like "The Candy Man".

Twobigdogs,
    When that happens to me, I look at the books, rearrange or dust them, until one of them sort of reaches for me. It may take a couple of days, but invariably, one of them does.

• georgia_peach
    14 years ago

Carolyn, coincidentally, I also read The Grand Sophy, this weekend. Not every Heyer book is a keeper for me, but this one is. I had the feeling Sir Horace knew exactly what he was doing when he had Sophy stay with his sister, and was up to a bit of mischief himself. Great fun!

I guess I've been in the mood for light, cozy reads. I also gulped down Mary Stewart's Thornyhold -- not one of my favorites, but still a nice, rainy day type read. All of Mary Stewart's novels are keepers for me. I'm so glad some of these are being reissued. As a girl, I read mainly library books, and am only now starting to collect them as they are reissued.

• rosaearth
    14 years ago

I just finished Deborah Blum's novel "The Poisoner's Handbook" and it was fascinating! Anyone read it? She writes about New York City in the 1920's and the men who investigated murders through science/forensics. I will suggest this to my book club.

I am now reading "Wild Child" by T.C. Boyle who is a favorite short story writer of mine. His books are always great.

• J C
    14 years ago

Read Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards in one sitting and an entire box of Kleenex. What a tearjerker! But a wonderful memoir of how the author's life was changed when she agreed to care for horse rescued by the SPCA. This was the author's first book, and I have already requested her second, which is something of a sequel, but seems to be more of how her life was changed by the success of her writing. As I am about the author's age and there are many similarities, I am greatly looking forward to reading it. She has another coming out in May; I put myself on the list for that one too.

Also have been reading Beverley Nichols Cats' A.B.C. which is so wonderful I am going to have to purchase it. So clever and lighthearted with an elegance that can only be Nichols. Also one of the rare animal memoirs that does not contain any death scenes, praise be!

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

Georgia P., I love Mary Stewart, too. My introduction to her books was Nine Coaches Waiting as a condensed novel in The Ladies Home Journal back in the 50s, and I believe I have every book she ever wrote. I especially liked Madam, Will You Talk for some reason; and, of course, the King Arthur series that was so different from the others.

I have read a little way into Motherless Daughters, enough to see that it is for women who lost their mothers at a young age rather than for me; but I keep thinking of my cousin's daughters. She died at 44 after a several-years-long fight against cancer, leaving four children, the youngest a 17-year-old boy. Especially the oldest daughter was devastated. My cousin died in 1978, and I will decide after I finish the book if I should recommend that the girls read it. I don't see them much, but I do know that they have never let go.

• ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

Yes Kath, it hurt my heart. Which illustrates how powerful she is as a writer-it is all pretend!

Anxiously awaiting the next one, which is in pre-production-and the one after that is being written! (I read her blog. Yesterday her dog was skunked. I laughed out loud reading about it. The woman can write!)

Had to decompress after reading it-so I pulled out Enter A Murderer by Ngaio Marsh. Sort of like slipping into sheepskin slippers after a day in fabulous heels. Comfy.

• J C
    14 years ago

Almost halfway through To Kill A Mockingbird, a reread for our discussion. I picked it up last night and have hardly put it down. What a terrific novel! And it doesn't hurt that I have a beautiful but compact 40th anniversary edition from the library.

When I can snatch a few moments, mostly at work, I am reading Pop Goes the Weasel-The Secret Meanings of Nursery Rhymes by Albert Jack. Although some of the derivations seem a bit far-fetched, it is very, very entertaining.

Also How To Sew A Button (and other nifty things your grandmother knew) by Erin Bried is good fun, although I take issue with some of the advice offered therein. I am almost grandmother age myself, although I suppose the author is talking about my grandmother, who was born in 1902. I wonder what she would think of this book? Anyway, it inspired me to darn some socks rather than throwing them away, actually a lot of fun. I now am regularly wearing socks that are older than some of my co-workers! What a world.

• annpan
    14 years ago

Just finished 'Sweet and Deadly,' a reprint of Charlaine Harris' first book. Written in 1981 and the heroine smokes cigarettes! Seems so odd these days!
    Just as well I got a load of library books as we had the most terrible storm after 4 months of no rain Perth was flooded with lots of damage from water and golf-ball size hailstones. My local library is closed for repairs but luckily I did not lose my electricity supply as so many did.

• veronicae
    14 years ago

siobhan...I have my grandmother's darning egg, plus several I bought in a "junk" tool shop in Maine last summer. I did learn to darn my socks when I was a child, and did do it into my teens. I'm not sure when I stopped. It's a very easy, and relaxing, chore as I remember it. I do, now, recall doing some of my wool socks when I was first married. The cotton socks are so inexpensive these days, they hardly seem worth it. And they make such great dust rags.

I am going to look into this book.

• stoneangel
    14 years ago

I am reading "Die Trying" the third or fourth book in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series (Jack Reacher being a former soldier/lone wolf type). I have not read the others in the series but don't feel I am missing anything (i.e. continuing storyline) by starting with the third. I was impressed with the lead female character in this one (a kidnapped FBI agent), although she seems to be falling a bit into the "helpless" role as I get midway into the book. On the whole I find it's a page-turner though, with some CSI-type elements to it, which I love!

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

I have just started Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I haven't read her Time Traveller's Wife, but this one seems like it will be really good.

• Kath
    14 years ago

I began reading Cold Justice, an Australian crime book by Katherine Howell, but had to stop midway to read Remember June by Damien Leith. Damien won the Australian Idol singing competition in 2006, and I am a big fan. This is his second novel. The story is good, but not so sure about the writing, it's a bit stilted. Not an opinion I am game to voice at the fan forum where I am a member though. Several people there said his first book was one of the best they had read - even though I am a huge fan, it made me wonder how many books they had finished LOL.
    An interesting note: the HarperCollins rep knows I am a big fan and brought me a small excerpt from the book. By coincidence, on the same day Damien was in Adelaide and came into the shop to see me (he is such a nice bloke, I can't imagine many 'celebrities' doing that!). Damien asked me to tell him what I thought and I found a word I thought out of place and said so. To my surprise, the word has been changed in the final copy!

• reader_in_transit
    14 years ago

That's quite a story, Kath!

Annpan,
    They showed that storm in Perth in the news here. It looked pretty powerful.

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

Just started "Mapp and Lucia" by EF Benson. It seems that I am reading a book in the middle of the series, but I am having no trouble sorting out the characters. Are the other books as good as this one? Or more of the same? This is a bonbon book and just what I need right now....

Kath - how cool that Damien came into your shop and looked for YOU. And that he took your advice. He knows who to trust for sure. :-)

• annpan
    14 years ago

Lemonhead: I think that all the Mapp and Lucia books are wonderful, actually the early ones only deal with Lucia. There are some follow-up books by Tom Holt which are well done and a Major Benjy book which I have not read.
    Reader in transit, that was a terrible storm indeed and has done a huge amount of damage to so many people. My son's home has been flooded, my grandson has lost two windshields on his family's cars. I was lucky that I had no problems but others in this retirement village were flooded and need new carpets at least. The report is that there are 200 million Aust. dollars insurance claims. I was upset to see that heritage stained-glass windows were destroyed and the fine arts library flooded with a number of books ruined at the University where I used to work.

• kren250
    14 years ago

I'm about half-way through The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw. It's about two families who were friends years ago, when they both had summer homes in Massachusetts. The Mom from one of the families dies under mysterious circumstances, and eight years later family secrets start to emerge. It's an okay book, but probably not one that will stick with me.

• vickitg
    14 years ago

I finally finished "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand." I dragged it out as long as I could because I didn't want it to end. Big sigh. I really enjoyed that book and wish I could find some more like it.

I think I'll move on to a Terry Pratchett just for fun -- "Eric."

• Kath
    14 years ago

Ann, sorry to hear about the damage your son and friends suffered. We rarely hear about terrible weather in Perth - like Adelaide, you seem to have nice Mediterranean climate most of the time.

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TKAMB was a hard act to follow. I am currently trying to read 2 books and not enthralled with either one: a re-read of Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" is leaving me bored. As well, E. Hemingway's "True at First Light." The latter is about big game hunting in Kenya during the time of the Mau Mau uprising. Somehow, it's a real downer to read about all the gratuitous killings of beautiful wild creatures. This was the author's last work and was published after his death by suicide.

• veronicae
    14 years ago

I've had a week of fiction, including Bohljalian's Secrets of Eden, and Tyler's Noah's Compass, both of which were very enjoyable. Noah's Compass probably more thought provoking: about memories, and choosing which handle on the memory to take hold of...the one that makes us happy or the one that makes us angry, and the selectivity of memory. I heartily recommend it.

The some quick reads: "The Girl Friend's Club" which was lots of fun but in no way thought provoking or meaningful!, "dirty little secrets" about a teen growing up in a home with a hoarder as parent.
    And then: the long awaited newest Jodi Picoult House Rules about a young man with Asperger's. I really enjoy the way Picoult gets into the personality of her characters when she writes from each person's point of view. A few paragraphs, and I could hear not only the literary voice, but the physical voice of Jacob, the main character. It will be a good weekend.

Then, I will continue with some religious books I have been reading during Lent, particularly The Return of the Prodigal Son and Death on a Friday Afternoon. I hope to finish both during Holy Week.

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

I finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. It certainly is an unusual book. The main characters are mirror image twins in Chicago, the daughters of an identical English twin estranged from her sister. The London sister dies and leaves her flat, which is adjacent to Highgate Cemetery,to the girls. It is a very readable book, interesting characters, exploration of sisters, secrets, and identity. I would love to hear the thinking on it from any of you who have read it.

Veronicae, I would like to hear more about your take on House Rules when you finish it. My (adopted) grandson has mild Asperger's. We knew nothing about it at all previously and were rather relieved to find out there were reasons that he had trouble making friends and playing sports. I suppose the book explains that it is a disease of the central nervous system, hence the lack of muscle coordination and the inability to pick up on body language. He is 15 now and has learned some of the social skills that do not come naturally to him, but he lives in pretty much a black and white world--no shades of grey or telling fibs for him. He is a super sweet boy and has been such a joy to us. He now has his first crush on a girl and is too scared to invite her to go have a milkshake with him.

• veronicae
    14 years ago

Carolyn, I will certainly do that.

The young man in the novel has a social tutor, who is working with him on how to handle those kind of situations. I feel so bad for these kids. To live in the world but not of it. And what a challenge for the parents.

• veer
    14 years ago

I have had The Remains of the Day on a TBR pile for ages and have just finished it. I think I enjoyed it as much as I did because I had seen the film with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, which does so much to bring to life the strange characters of the butler and the housekeeper.
    Some of the location shots were done at the now faded holiday resort of Weston-super-Mare on the Somerset coast using the hotel where my late Mother was a guest. And no, they didn't want her as a 'extra'. Everyone had to keep out of the way and watch from over the banisters.

Kath, are you out there? I owe you an apology. I told you if I had to read and enjoy a 'Booker Prize' winner I would chew off my own ankle.
    Well, I loved Wolf Hall and enjoyed The Remains of the Day so I am now hobbling about on bloody stumps.

• Kath
    14 years ago

Vee, I'm still laughing at that about an hour after I first read it. I guess they have to get it right sometimes!

• sheriz6
    14 years ago

I gave up on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, begged pardon at my book group meeting, and discovered only one of the eight of us had managed to finish it ... Needless to say I felt much better!

I finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand yesterday and loved it. It's light, happy, thoughtful -- perfect and just what I needed.

Last night I started The Elegance of the Hedgehog and so far I like it very much. To Kill a Mockingbird is still in my TBR pile and should be next.

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

Went out of town which meant a four-hour stopover in Dallas Fort Worth airport, so managed somehow to find myself in a book shop (imagine that) and bought "In Other Rooms, Other Wonders" by Daneyal Mueenyddon, an author who lives in Pakistan. I really enjoyed this one as it was more a collection of short stories, but each story linked back to a character or situation in a previous story. Very clever, and it was well written. I got completely sucked into the world of both rural and cityfied Pakistan as it is now (according to this author) so can recommend this one. Apparently it was a finalist for the National Book Prize,but it had slipped my notice. Glad I picked it up.

Now reading my NF for the week- "Every Patient Tells a Story: Medical Mysteries and the art of Diagnosis" by Lisa Sanders, MD, who is the medical advisor for the tv programme House.... I am a bit disappointed in this, as it's not as interesting as I had thought it was going to be (considering I love House). But it's not bad, and is currently talking about the need for docs to go back and relearn how to use their senses (sight, hearing etc.) during the physical exam instead of 100% relying on expensive medical procedures and tests. I happen to have a good doc who does a thorough exam each year, but my old MD who, although very nice, only did a cursory exam compared to what I have now.

Also got a mammoth book from the library - "Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces" of western art. Lovely to pick up and put down every now and then... Plus I get to do curls with it! :-)

• annpan
    14 years ago

Thank goodness, my local library has re-opened after the repairs needed after the huge storm. I borrowed several books by Veronica Heley from other libraries, all of the Abbot Agency series. Not bad.
    Spoiler...I think I would have found Hamilton a nice man but why did he need to pray and meditate so much when he was alive.
    Is running a domestic agency that difficult? :-(

• kren250
    14 years ago

I finished The Swimming Pool by Holly Lecraw. I thought it was just so-so. It's about two families dealing with the death of the Mom of one of the families, eight years ago. Family secrets abound, all of them predictable. I think I've just read too many of these types of books; it's to the point where I cringe if I see the words dysfunctional and family used to describe a book.

Now reading Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. It's pretty good. A young woman and her husband move to the Nebraska prairies to farm in the mid to late 1800s. The begining of the book is set in Iowa, which was interesting to me since that's where I'm from. The Cedar River (which makes a brief appearance in the story) is about two miles from my house.

• veer
    14 years ago

I have been listening to via the BBC The Beacon by Susan Hill. A slightly spooky tale set in a remote Welsh farm house and now, Hilary Spurling's very new book Burying the Bones: Pearl Buck in China. China, for a US missionary, wasn't a very healthy place (in every sense) to be at the end of the nineteenth century. Her father only made ten converts in as many years, and her own siblings died like flies.

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

Finished off the enjoyable lightweight "Mapp and Lucia" by EF Benson. Once I got the characters sorted out, it was a nice gentle read about the chicanery that goes into village politics in the UK in the 1930's. Pretty funny in parts, and I might read the others in the series, but not right now. This was a delicious little parfait.

Now on to "The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the most devastating plague of all time" by John Kelly. That's my NF choice, whilst my F choice is "Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin (imagine an accent acute on the "o" and the "i" in that surname).... Been looking forward to this for a while so quite excited to start it.

• reader_in_transit
    14 years ago

Have finished The Bright Forever by Lee Martin. What I found interesting was the story being told by different persons.

Lemonhead,
    I've requested Brooklyn from the library. Let me know what you think of it.

• veronicae
    14 years ago

I just finished House Rules by Jodi Picoult. She reports using information from children with autism and aspergers. Wow! she appears to have really listened to what they had to say. And their parents as well. As a pediatric nurse, I have always considered the parents of "disabled" kids as my heroes. Even more so after reading this book.

I enjoyed it immensely, and didn't want to stop reading, and am definitely having book withdrawal symptoms.

An added treat, was looking at language, and how we often don't hear what people are really saying. This is a large part of the theme, and my English teacher husband enjoyed the concept of what words mean...and how people use and hear them differently. What is a true statement?

Carolyn, I think you should give it a try. I found it disturbing sometimes, so beware. It is hard. But it was a great look into someone else's world - for real, a different world.

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

Reader in Transit -

You are in for a real treat with Brooklyn when you get it. It's a book that sucks you in and you can only just pull yourself out of it when you have to bed. It's really well written and I just can't wait to go home and read it at lunchtime.

Honestly, a super book so far....

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

Thanks, Veronica. I mentioned the book to my daughter, and she bought it. I will read it when she finishes, but she is a busy lady so it may be awhile.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    14 years ago

Just finished Kostova's The Swan Thieves and enjoyed it greatly while recognizing its shortcomings. It's good but misses great. I guessed the denouement as soon as we were introduced to the eponymous painting. And the worst part of all, and probably the most damning comment I could make : it has a Nora Roberts dearth of interesting antagonists. I don't like books where everyone is just too nice and loving. Yeech! YMMV

Next up: Ann Tyler's Noah's Compass

• veronicae
    14 years ago

Chris - I read Noah's Compass last week, and it was one of the best I have read in a long time. A lot of thinking happened. Great characters. I think I would like Liam. I told my husband that if he were ever to be alone, he would be Liam.