March: What are you reading this month?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (157)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Autumn Days - What are you reading in March?
Comments (117)Finished up Spook by Mary Roach, an in-depth and irreverant look at the world of mediums, ghosts etc. Very funny (as she always is) and interesting, but more of a pick-up and put-down book really so it took a while to finish. Finished The People of Privilege Hill by Jane Gardam, a book of short stories (one or two featuring old characters like Old FILTH etc.). Most of the stories were very well written, but there were a few slightly odd ones in there. I think it was a bit of a vanity project for the author... Then an ILL came in: Fire on the Mountain by Anita Desai, a novel with absolutely beautiful descriptions in it of the hill station in North India where the book is located. There is a crusty grumpy old lady who lives there, glad to be alone when suddenly one of her daughters dumps her own daughter (the protag's great granddaughter) there all summer. It's how the relationship develops (or dosen't) between the two generations. Really enjoying this one bc the writing is just so good. Then, as a NF read, I have another book by Sue Hubbell, a series of essays (I think) about her country living and keeping bees. I really enjoyed her other book, so am hoping this will be similar. I also need to switch off One-Click on ama. It is absolutely far too easy to buy a book right now when I have a slow mo at work......See MoreWhat are you reading in March?
Comments (90)4kids4us - I hope that you enjoy Tomorrow. I'd like to hear your opinion. Travers's life was, to put it mildly, controversial. And your mention of Girl at War reminds me that sitting and mocking me on a bookshelf is Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, Rebecca West's tour de force ( 1158 pgs.) of her journey through the Balkans prior to WW2. This book is considered a 20th century masterpiece. I want so much to read it, but its length is daunting - and it has no maps! Here's another one for you: Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, by Georgina Howell. Bell was born a Victorian Englishwoman, expected to be dainty and calm and eventually someone's wife. Instead she first became a master mountain-climber, nearly freezing in the Alps, and then she went on to her main calling - exploring the Levant and Arabia and Mesopotamia by camel caravans that she organized herself, schlepping her frocks and laces and china in trunks from Beirut to Jerusalem to the depths of Arabia and on to Baghdad, entertaining sheikhs and politicians along the way, mystifying and amazing some very tough men. Eventually she became part of the British and French team that divided up the Levant after WW1. It's a very good read!...See MoreMarching right along....what are you reading this month ?
Comments (96)This morning I finished Traveling Alone, a Nordic Noir novel by Samuel Bjork who is actually Frode Sander Oien. I guess that means he's well known enough in Norway to want to hide his identity as an author? Not sure, since they give it away on the back flap of the book cover. In the novel, dead little six-year-old girls are being found hung from trees in various forests. All are dressed in identical doll dresses and are wearing a "Traveling Alone" sign (like the ones they apparently put on children flying without an adult). At this point, you might be wondering why I would be reading such a deeply noir novel, which is a legitimate question. Well, the investigators are very clever and interesting people. Although the book kept me on the edge of my chair, I will probably stay away from this genre in the future....See MoreWhat are you reading? March 2025 Edition
Comments (68)Just finished & enjoyed this read ”The Dark Wives” Anne Cleeves. This is a Vera Stanhope novel from the series. It’s the basis for the PBS series ”Vera”. She is a frumpy looking & clever woman Detective Inspector in UK. I picked up this book because I enjoy the TV series. I enjoyed the book because the actor who plays Vera represents the book version of Vera extremely well & I used her as a visual while reading. I wasn’t any more successful at figuring out ’whodunnit’ before the end of the book than I ever am while watching the TV show....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZMarch’s Bestselling Oversized Rugs
See the month’s most popular rugs for large spaces
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZMarch’s Bestselling Lighting
Shop this month’s most popular pendants, sconces, floor lamps and more
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZMarch’s Bestselling Bar Stools
Upgrade your kitchen or bar seating with the month’s most popular styles
Full Story0

LIFEA Month-by-Month Guide to ‘Downton Abbey’ Withdrawal
Missing Lady Grantham’s zingers? Edith’s furrowed brow? Romance simmering downstairs? Here’s help to get you through until season 6
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZMarch's Bestselling Bar Stools
As dinner simmers, take a seat on one of this month’s most popular stools
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZMarch's Bestselling Vanities With Free Shipping
This month’s top vanity picks in styles, colors and sizes that suit your design
Full Story0

MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your March Home Checklist
Get ready for sunnier days, whether you have an hour or a weekend to spare
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener's March Checklist
So long, freezing temperatures. It's time to kick off spring planting, lavish attention on lawns and sprinkle seeds to your heart's content
Full Story0

GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGGarden Musts for March
Some toil in the soil this month will help ensure a blooming garden come summer, so dig out your shovel and bring on the mulch
Full StoryMore Discussions
netla