Marching right along....what are you reading this month ?
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (96)
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
February, the shortest month - What are you reading?
Comments (98)In order to get through more books, I have decided to read as many as I can have going at the same time - that way if I'm not feeling awake enough or in the mood enough to read, say "Wolf Hall", I'll pick up something different. I am currently reading David Gemmel's "Troy - Lord of the Silver Bow", the first in a trilogy. Well-written but I don't lose myself in it or reach for it every chance I get like I do with Barbara Gowdy's book "Helpless". Very disturbing subject matter but I like the way she writes; great character development and I feel like I am getting a real glimpse inside a truly disturbed mind (the mind one of her character's, not the author's :c) This is the first book I have read by her and I will definitely read her other books now. Also read "Match me if you can" a romance/humour book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. She came highly recommended and, although romance is not my favourite genre (too formulaic/boring), I did enjoy it and would look for her other books. It was like watching a nice romantic/comedy movie where there is actual chemistry between the two leads. A nice beach, vacation read (warning: some adult content/language)....See MoreAutumn Days - What are you reading in March?
Comments (117)Finished up Spook by Mary Roach, an in-depth and irreverant look at the world of mediums, ghosts etc. Very funny (as she always is) and interesting, but more of a pick-up and put-down book really so it took a while to finish. Finished The People of Privilege Hill by Jane Gardam, a book of short stories (one or two featuring old characters like Old FILTH etc.). Most of the stories were very well written, but there were a few slightly odd ones in there. I think it was a bit of a vanity project for the author... Then an ILL came in: Fire on the Mountain by Anita Desai, a novel with absolutely beautiful descriptions in it of the hill station in North India where the book is located. There is a crusty grumpy old lady who lives there, glad to be alone when suddenly one of her daughters dumps her own daughter (the protag's great granddaughter) there all summer. It's how the relationship develops (or dosen't) between the two generations. Really enjoying this one bc the writing is just so good. Then, as a NF read, I have another book by Sue Hubbell, a series of essays (I think) about her country living and keeping bees. I really enjoyed her other book, so am hoping this will be similar. I also need to switch off One-Click on ama. It is absolutely far too easy to buy a book right now when I have a slow mo at work......See MoreAs the pandemic marches on, what are you reading in August 2020?
Comments (91)Astrokath, I have never read a Cormac McCarthy book that I've enjoyed. That one sounds a bit different than his usual fare but, I bet it doesn't have a happy ending. I was about to pick up where I left off in my Hungarian bank robber book when the library informed me that another ebook I had reserved months ago was available, The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. It's an entertaining fantasy novel. My book club has chosen Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts for next month's discussion....See MoreWhat Are You Reading? March 2022 Edition
Comments (84)I've been reading a new series, the Alice Vega thriller books by Louisa Luna. The first one, Two Girls Down, really hooked me and I'm almost finished with the second The Janes. I found the series by happenstance when I read a review of the third and latest book Hideout in the NYT. I'm enjoying how hard boiled private eye genre conventions are twisted here. The two partners are the classic tropes-a former cop turned private eye who resigned in disgrace (but was actually protecting a colleague) and a loner misanthrope with incredible physical fighting skills. This time though, the loner is a woman and the cop's a guy so there's an interesting dynamic going on between them. Only downside is the same one that's always in play in this type of book. They get into situations in which they're physically attacked in ways that would result in long term damage or death for any human body...but then they bounce right back and keep on detecting LOL. But that's minor and for anyone who enjoys noir-ish thriller/mysteries it's a series worth checking out....See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEA Month-by-Month Guide to ‘Downton Abbey’ Withdrawal
Missing Lady Grantham’s zingers? Edith’s furrowed brow? Romance simmering downstairs? Here’s help to get you through until season 6
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your March Home Checklist
Get ready for sunnier days, whether you have an hour or a weekend to spare
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNWhich Shower Bench Style Is Right for You?
Shower benches can be sturdy, floating, fold-away or movable. Read about 6 types to find one that suits your needs
Full Story
LIGHTINGGuest Picks: Marching to a Different Drum Shade
Follow a designer as she hunts down the perfect light for her client
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGMarch Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Get a jump on spring by spiffing up surfaces, clearing clutter and getting your warm-weather clothes in shape
Full Story
LIFEHow to Get Along With the Neighbors — and Live Happier at Home
Everyone wins when neighbors treat one another with kindness, consideration and respect
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
BUDGETING YOUR PROJECTDesign Workshop: Is a Phased Construction Project Right for You?
Breaking up your remodel or custom home project has benefits and disadvantages. See if it’s right for you
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe Right Way to Test Paint Colors
Here are 5 key steps to take to ensure you're happy with your wall paint color
Full Story
BEDROOMSThe Right Mattress: The Secret to a Great Night’s Sleep
We spend a third of our lives asleep, so investing in a quality mattress is essential. Check out this expert advice to help you choose yours
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
netla