SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mumby_gw

Check out those dusty old library books!

mumby
18 years ago

On the "Books read again and again" thread, Frieda mentioned her great disappointment when a favourite library book was culled. Fortunately, through the Internet she was able to obtain her own copy. But isn't it sad to think that no one will be able to discover this book just by browsing through the stacks of that library?

Coincidentally, I just finished reading Bellwether by Connie Willis (a very funny book btw). I could not help but like the main character who just happens to check out old library books to ensure that they don't get culled.

From the book:

The Bridges of Madison County and Danielle Steel, and a consequent shortage of shelf space, to cope with which librarians have taken to purging books that haven't been checked out lately.

"Why are you throwing out Dickens?" I'd asked Lorraine last year at the library book sale, brandishing a copy of Bleak House at her. "You can't throw out Dickens."

"Nobody checked it out," she'd said. "If no one checks a book out for a year, it gets taken off the shelves." ...."Obviously nobody read it."

"And nobody ever will because it won't be there for then to check out," I'd said. "Bleak House is a wonderful book."

"Then this is your chance to buy it," she'd said.

Well, and this was a trend like any other, and as a sociologist I should note it with interest and try to determine its origins. Instead, I started checking out books. All my favorites, which I'd never checked out because I had copies at home, and all the classics, and everything with an old cloth binding that somebody might want to read someday when the current trends of sentimentality and schlock are over. >

I think some of our RP'ers are librarians. Can we save these books? How are books culled at your library?

Anyway, I love libraries, and just wanted to share this idea. I really hate thinking of wonderful books being discarded to make way for umpteen copies of the Da Vinci Code

Comments (27)

• vtchewbecca
    18 years ago

I myself am not often a library patron (I have having a time-limit for reading a book when I have such limited time as I do right now). However, I very much think that libraries are important to provide books for those who cannot afford to buy them and to those who have a love of reading and want access to many different books.

I don't know if libraries would really cull classics, though I would hope not. I can understand the response to demand, though, as libraries need to meet the demands of the general public if they are to remain viable in the future.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Wow, I thought I was the only one who did that! Checking out books so they are not culled. But guess what? That doesn't save them at my public library. And I have offered to buy titles but they say no--they have to go to the book sale to benefit the library. And dealers, and others wishing to pay an entrance fee, get in for first dibs. All the money goes to non-stop technology upgrades and popular best-sellers. Can you stand it?

• Related Discussions

How to donate a book to your local library, or Library 101

Q

Comments (13)
    What happened to you oldroser is completely unconcionable. It's really appalling that a gift, and one from a primary benefactor, could be so misused. I'm so sorry it happened. Rosefolly, I'm sorry your noble quest to donate a worthy title has become so convoluted. As Bellegallica said - just because it may be accepted, doesn't mean you'll see it in the stacks. And I think Oldroser hit the mark by talking about selling books, whether a rose book collection or even a new rose book. I know it may bring up a sore spot, but getting these great books into the hands of people who really want to read them is the first priority, right? So is a library really the right place to do so? I guess I'm being influenced by a review I read recently in the New York Times about Larry McMurtry's "Books: A Memoir" where he talks about his obsessive book collecting. My husband is one such kind of guy who relishes his "finds" on dusty shelves. I have some lovely old rose books due to his "hobby" and I secretly wait for the next one, even as I try to subdue his obsession. Anyone who loves books will cherish this volume and perhaps keep a copy, or sell it, or share it with those who will appreciate it. The ability to see quality in a book is foresight into its intrinsic value, now, or in the future. Even though public libraries may not see it now, there are many more venues to appreciate its value.
    ...See More

Book for those with hidden illness...LPink & kitchendetective

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you so much Tricia!! This is very timely as I have to make an Amazon order one of these days and so I will add it to my order. I think I have seen it before. I have a good book called "Managing Chronic Pain" or something like that, maybe it's "Coping with . . . " but anyway it helped me a lot dealing with my migranes. I didn't get much help from any doctors, even when I went to a hoity toity headache clinic. The most help I got was from other migrane sufferers. Also the book was a real eye opener on how to take pain medications effectively. Really got my levels down!
    ...See More

Looking for a Very Old Decorating Book

Q

Comments (33)
    Everyone has been SO helpful!!!! You don't know how much I appreciate all the research. You are the greatest! I don't believe it was the Tucker sisters, although they do fit the descriptions that I gave. I called the public library this morning and asked to speak to a reference librarian. I told her my dilemma, and gave her the information about the "unknown book." She came up with a book that is described as: A WOMAN RETURNS FROM THE BAHAMAS AND DECORATES HER HOUSE PINK. That has to be it! What are the chances of there being another book like this. She is going to call me back, but she told me this book is by Dorothy Draper, a great woman decorator who introduced color to the world of decorating. And, it was the Bahamas, not Bermuda -- I knew it started with a "B!" LOL I know that Dorothy Draper wrote a book entitled, "In the Pink." Not sure if this is the book -- BUT at least, I'm pretty sure that Dorothy Draper is the author. The librarian was busy at the time so that is the reason she is going to call me back. Do you guys think you can help me find which Dorothy Draper book this might be?
    ...See More

FYI: Books? Check out Cote de Texas blog

Q

Comments (12)
    I hadn't dropped by the site in a while. Thanks for the reminder. It's funny, to me, that there is so much bashing of formal spaces that look like they couldn't be used or enjoyed. I look at them as if they were a beautiful piece of art. The room on the cover of Michael S Smith is to die for, IMO. It combines warm and cool in a way that is so perfect that it appears artistic. There is no way that the sofa could be comfortable or the side table useful, but I would be elated to just walk into that room on a daily basis. It is stunning.
    ...See More
  • cindydavid4
    18 years ago

For an interesting read about that subject, check out (hee) Nicholas Basbanes book A Splendor of Letters. One chapter focus on just that issue

My parents couldn't afford to get me books, so the library was my heaven. Its where I learned to read, and where I spent most of my free time. But I rarely go there now. For one thing, they never have the new releases I am looking for, and they rarely have the unusual books. For another - our city's budget is a mess, and they have been culling not just books from the library, but hours and staff as well. We have three libraries here, in the fastest growing city in the country. And they already have closed them for Sundays, and are talking about closing the two branches permanently.

Our society wants people to be literate. To cut libraries is about the most short sighted idea that they could do.

• colormeconfused
    18 years ago

Our library is limited on space, and I notice that most of what they cull are multiple copies of the same title. They put them out on a table in the lobby for the general public to purchase priced anywhere from a quarter to a few dollars.

My mother was an elementary school teacher. A few years ago, before she died (at the too-young age of 64), the original school building was being torn down to make way for a new one. It was decided that many of the old books from the original library wouldn't be moved to the new building, and many of them were either given away or destroyed.

You can imagine my surprise when my mother presented me with an old, tattered, oft-repaired book. When the librarian was going through the old books deciding which ones to cull, she had opened this book and looked at the borrower's card in the back. On Feburary 16, 1957, someone named Brenda was the very first to check out the book, called Miss Boo is Sixteen, and the last person to check out that book, on September 28, 1972, was me. The librarian gave the book to my mother to give to me as a memento. It was an unexpected treasure and a reminder of things past.

• veer
    18 years ago

Wow, libaries open on a Sunday! As far as I know they are always closed on that day here in the UK.
    You don't find many of the 'classics' on the shelves these days but the libraries have a central store where these types of books are kept.
    Cuts in funding also mean that the many smaller branches in country towns are usually closed for one/two days a week.
    But, if you order a book (and I almost always order something each time I visit our Mobile Library -50pence/30 cents a book) they will do their best to find it for you and if it is not available within the county they will search elsewhere and failing that will usually buy a copy.
    It is necessary to be patient however. I picked up a book last week that I had ordered in Dec 2004!
    Books seem to be left on the shelves until they fall to pieces so library sales are not much of a bargain.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

I volunteer at a very small community library which was once a once room church. We keep the classics but anything else which hasn't been checked out for several years gets put into our barn and then sold at book sale to earn money for newer books. We are a totally volunteer group. It's difficult sometimes getting rid of books but we have such limited shelf space and there comes a time when you just haves to make more room.

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

I've worked in various libraries over the years. And yes, I have, sadly, noticed a trend to cull the classics mainly in our public libraries. Often they can be bought for pennies at our several annual book sales. Usually the reason given is lack of shelf space and poor physical condition of older copies of classics. However, I frequent the nearby University Library more and more, because often I find they are less apt to cull their classics or their older copies. Thus I am more likely to find a work by Mark Twain or Dickens at the Univ.

As for Interlibrary loans, I've never had to pay for this service in our public libraries. And both Univ. and Public libraries are always open on Sundays. Usually opening time is 1 P.M. to leave the morning free for church-goers.

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

I've worked in various libraries over the years. And yes, I have, sadly, noticed a trend to cull the classics mainly in our public libraries. Often they can be bought for pennies at our several annual book sales. Usually the reason given is lack of shelf space and poor physical condition of older copies of classics. However, I frequent the nearby University Library more and more, because often I find they are less apt to cull their classics or their older copies. Thus I am more likely to find a work by Mark Twain or Dickens at the Univ.

As for Interlibrary loans, I've never had to pay for this service in our public libraries. And both Univ. and Public libraries are always open on Sundays. Usually opening time is 1 P.M. to leave the morning free for church-goers.

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

Sorry! somehow this got posted twice....:-(

• leel
    18 years ago

I am a medical librarian, but generally "weeding" of a library collection follows rules set up by each library. One is almost always the last circulation date. The cut may be 2 or more years (more or less--dependent on space & the subject of the book, as well as redundency in the collection). However, inter-library loan can fill the gaps, since generally there is a "union list" of who owns what so that almost any title is ultimately available. I avail myself of ILL frequently, and the last group of books I got were obtained from West Point Military Library, a university in Mississippi, and the 3rd one escapes me. (I live in NJ). No library can house everything; not even the Library of Congress.

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

color, I love that story - how observant and thoughtful of that librarian! BTW if their school library was anything like the one at our school - the books that were tossed were out of date. We had some that talked about someday in the future when man walks the moon...

>No library can house everything; not even the Library of Congress.

Actually, I thought they did - isn't a copy of everything published sent there, or has that changed? (one of my most memorable days in DC a few years back was visiting the LofC. Incredible interior, and oh yeah, the books were cool too)

Interlibrary loans were a life saver in grad school. At that time (20 years ago) there was no charge.

veer, in our state, libraries usually were open on Sundays, in the pm (I know other places where this is not done) so I am used to a 7 day library.

I don't go to the library sale in our city, usually nothing I want. But the one in Phoenix is fantastic - in fact they have an entire warehouse that is open to the public one weekend a month. Visiting there is like opening a treasure chest. Well, you do need to separate the wheat from the chaff, but my entire collection of Angela Thirkle book are from there, with the original art work on the dust jackets. Should they still be in the library? Probably. But they are now in a safe place on my shelves where they can be appreciated. Just too bad no one will be able to find it on the library shelves.

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

My little library is a branch of the big library-we have virtually NO classics on our shelves-the rationale being that if a classic is "required" or "needed" (the implication being only students assigned to read them would be interested) we can have a copy sent out from downtown-it takes anywhere from 3 days to a week if it's on the shlf, who know how long if it's out.

• veronicae
    18 years ago

I sent a link for this thread to my son...who revealed to me in response that when he was shelving books in his "career" as a library "page" (yes, that really was the title that the teen age workers had) he would often "lose" the little circulation slips that were in some of the books so that they wouldn't be culled!

• dedtired3
    18 years ago

Now most libraries are automated, so the books have a bar code instead of a little slip in the back. I loved that little slip. The best books always ahd been checked out the post so I looked for those that had lots of stamps on the card.

Now the librarians can read the bar codes to find out whether or not a book is being taken out, The best way to keep books from being weeded out is to borrow them frequently. Public libraries live and die by their circulation numbers and would not weed out a book that is checked out frequently.

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

Am I the only one who misses library cards? I remember how excited I was to be able to throw away my children's card so I could get the teen card, and then oh to finally be able to check out books in the adult section! (tho my sis had been getting these for me for years)

I

• ginny12
    18 years ago

We still have library cards in my town tho they are "read" by a computer. Which also displays your overdue books. Of which I always have a few. Sigh. But we have no fines in our town so unless someone else has requested the book, I can keep things til I'm done with them.

I remember getting my first library card. My mother tried to leave me in the children's room while she went to get books for herself. A stern librarian barred the doorway with her desk. She demanded, "Do you have a LIBRARY CARD?" I said no. "Can you WRITE YOUR NAME?" Stricken, I said no. I was four years old and this was before Sesame Street. "Then you CAN'T COME IN!" I was humiliated--and I went home and learned to write my name immediately.

• J C
    18 years ago

My local library (which I have written about in another thread) is a busy and yes, vibrant place. Yet it is closed on Sundays, and in the summer it is closed all weekend! (Sniff) Driving by on those lazy summer days and seeing the building locked and dark makes me so sad. Often the days are very hot, and I often wonder if it would not be a good thing to have the library open so that seniors and others who cannot afford air conditioning could relax there. Oh well, I'm not in charge of the decisions or the budget.

When I lived in California, I used to check out armloads of books to prevent them from being culled. That library had loads of idiosyncratic books, most long out of print, that I loved. I haven't had the time to investigate the culling procedures in my new home town - but I will...

• veronicae
    18 years ago

Cindy...I miss the card catalog...

• martin_z
    18 years ago

Vee - we have eleven libraries in Harrow; one of them, the nearest to the town centre, has just started opening on Sunday afternoon as an experiment.

I do hope it succeeds....

I'm afraid I don't use libraries very much. When I take my daughter to a Saturday drama class, I tend to disappear into the library and find a book of short stories to read. (That's not always easy!) But I've found from bitter experience that actually taking books out of libraries just means fines when I forget to return them...

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

Hee, veronica, me too. As well as those yearly volumes of the Reader's Guide (?name) - those huge green tomes that held every article I'd ever want to read. One of the reasons I loved research was using these - and one of the reasons I was so slow was that I kept finding articles I was interested in but had no bearing on my subject!

With computer searches, its all so much easier and faster. But there was something about sitting in the reference room with all those indexes(not the plural, I know) and with everyone else, quietly shifting through it all.

• merryworld
    18 years ago

We have a wonderful library that is open on Sundays for three hours during the school year.

Did you know that libraries can now "rent" multiple copies of bestsellers? When the demand dies down, the book seller takes them back and resells them as used books.

When I lived in Singapore, there were little book rental businesses in many malls. You pay a few dollars for the book you want and when you're finished you take it back. The bookseller gives you a portion of your money back that is determined by the number of days you had the book.

• anyanka
    18 years ago

So they culled some books - that's nothing. Back where I grew up (Hamburg, Germany), they've culled my entire childhood library! Gone completely. Maybe the area was too affluent & status conscious, and people didn't want to be seen borrowing things...

While I understand and partially share the love of card catalogues and lending slips, I also remember feeling very peeved when the librarian laughed at me because my borrower number appeared three times in a row on a particular book's slip (I was only 8 or 9, and easily embarrassed).

I still do this. There's a particularly beautiful book of Chinese paintings in my lovely little local library, which I borrow every other month...

• veronicae
    18 years ago

anyanka...there were two cookbooks that essentially I loaned back to the library now and then...one on breads and one about cooking with children. With today's new internets renewal systems, and reserve systems, they would probably only land in the library for a few minutes now and then.

• bookmom41
    18 years ago

Hmm, at our local branch, a book is at risk to be "culled" if it has been checked out fewer than three times in the preceeding year. While it may not be the best system, public libraries are meant to serve the public. By and large, that same public is checking out the bestsellers rather than classics and when space is limited, such as at a smaller branch, it only makes sense that the shelf space is dedicated to books that patrons will read. Funding is partially determined by patronage and circ numbers. Our central branch keeps a much larger collection where "classics" are not culled as quickly and one can order a book delivered to one's local branch, including inter-library loans, at no charge.
    Unfortunately, having books available which one might think the public "should" read is no guarantee they will. My branch did a display with staff picks, many of which would be called classics and higher-brow literature. Amazing how the books stayed on the display, especially since this branch is located in one of the wealthier and well-educated areas of the county. Yet, the newest Evanovich book had a long, long waiting list...

I have to add--Good Lord! I don't miss the card catalog. For me, that would be like doing my laundry in a wringer washer.

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

I work the circulation desk at my little branch library-and I love the computer system! We can look at any of the library system's collections and tell you if the book is on the shelf or when it is due, call and have them sent out, renew from home, request from home-I am with bookmom-I wouldn't want to go back to the card catalog.

• smallcoffee
    18 years ago

I adore the online catalog. I love being able to virtually browse the library shelves from my home. Peering through all those little cards was an effort even when I was young. Love being able to place my reserves and just running in to pick up my book when time is short. When it isn't it's hard to turn away from browsing the actual shelves.

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

No I don't want to go back to the days pre computer. I wrote my masters thesis on an electric typewriter with carbon paper. Computers are a god send, sometimes.

I don't know if others are like me - but when I say I miss library cards, Readers Guide to Periodicals and such, I am really saying that I miss the magic libraries once held for me as a child and young adult. For a lonely child who often didn't fit in, it was a place that opened up the world for me. I think of how I used to browse the shelves at the library. I'd start with the As and look for books that intrigued me. I ended up picking some classic literature, good literature, and just plain good reads that I never would have found if those books were culled because no one was checking them out. Now, these types of books are so seldom on the shelves or seldom recommended, that I do my browsing at the local indie rather than going to the library.

Then there is the culling of staff, and the lack of personal attention. I still remember a wonderful lady named Pricilla McCloud, the children's librarian who later became the head librarian at our branch. I could always depend on her help when I wanted books on a subject, or just 'whats a good book I should read" and she'd find a few which would lead her to more ideas... Librarians like her knew my name, knew my interests, knew what authors might intrigue me.

Now, the librarians are replaced by computer check out machines. There is one librarian at the reference desk who is usually helping out folk on the public computers.

>public libraries are meant to serve the public. By and large, that same public is checking out the bestsellers rather than classics and when space is limited, such as at a smaller branch, it only makes sense that the shelf space is dedicated to books that patrons will read

bookmom I agree to an extent. However the library should still have good copies of the books that have been popular in years passed (not necessarily books that anyone 'should' read) or at the very least books that are being required by school districts. And they should have librarians who know what's out there, ones who are available to help the public that they are catering to.

Unfortunately budget cuts in our community have severly slashed the libraries ability to run. There is a bond election in May that will determine whether or not two of the three libraries in our area will close. And this is such a conservative area that I suspect it will fail.