SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

How to donate a book to your local library, or Library 101

rosefolly
15 years ago

I decided to follow BelleGallica's example and donate a copy of Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Climates to one of my several local public libraries. Not my gift copy of course, but one to be specially purchased. Out of several community libraries, I chose the one in nearby Sunnyvale because in my opinion they have the best garden collection.

There is a certain procedure to follow. I thought I'd share it in case anyone else wants to improve the selection of rose books at their local library. If you just go out and donate the book, chances are it will end up in the Friends of the Library book sale, not on the shelf in the library. Someone will be made happy by this, but probably not you!

The first thing you do is inquire who makes purchasing decisions for the garden section of the library, and make an appointment with that librarian. Explain that you are interested in donating a certain book and want to know if the librarian would consider it a suitable candidate for adding to the collection. (Believe it or not, they have a long list of criteria books must meet.) If you have the book, bring it along to show; if you do not, bring reviews. Even though you are paying for the book, they still have expenses for processing, so they won't add an item they don't think is suitable. Reasons for saying No are varied, and may range from condition of the item to lack of available electronic cataloging data to a decision higher up to only collect to a certain depth in that area. I will say that most community libraries put a lot of emphasis on cooking and gardening! If they say yes, they will tell you what procedure to follow, or perhaps just give you the address to which the new book should be sent.

I've just placed my order at Ashdown.

Comments (13)