SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vee_new

Local Library System v. High Blood Pressure

vee_new
8 years ago

How does the 'borrowing system' at your local library work? I hope for all your sakes it is not as convoluted as mine.

I seldom go into town to our nearest library branch but am able to order books via the computer. Should I be in the building and attempt to order a book not on the shelves, at the counter I will be charged a pound (because of the time it takes for the member of staff to type in the information).

So this morning I checked in the on-line catalogue for the book recommended by reader-in-t Molly Fox's Birthday and was pleased to see that four copies were available at other branches within the county.

I typed in my card number plus my PIN number (as though dealing with the bank) three times as the system was on the blink. I added the name and author of the book and waited. After a while a message came up that my card and account had gone 'out-of-date' yesterday, 19th Oct and for me to visit the library with both my card and PIN card to discuss the issue with staff.

As I still had the will to live, though feeling a little delicate. I had the idea of phoning and speaking to a real person.

This I did and the phone was answered straight away. I explained the problem, gave all my details plus favourite colour, birthplace of mother-in-law and so on and then made the fatal error of suggesting that as I was on the phone perhaps I could give the name of the book/author to the librarian to save time etc.

A big mistake. Apparently their computers hadn't been fired-up as the building doesn't open to the public until 10am and it was only 9.47am and my information had only been written on a scrape of paper with a pencil and not entered into a machine. I was advised to wait until the witching-hour plus several minutes and rework my way through the system.

Well, "Bugger me" I said to myself "What happened to those friendly helpful girls of yore who would search out books, look things up in the card index, give advice and offer reading suggestions?"

These girls (never any men there) no longer stamp out- going books, it is all done via a machine, nor do they hand you books that have been ordered . . .they nod towards a distant shelf where you search through the stacks yourself. Perhaps they do a little light dusting . . . it beats me.

Tell me, how is it for you? Is a visit/communication with your branch a thing of calm or a BP raising endurance test?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH