SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

This really makes my blood boil!!!!!!

Andrew Scott
10 years ago

You know, this summer, I was really pleasantly surprised to see more and more local nurseries and garden centers selling citrus trees, AND not selling them at astronomical prices!!! I had always felt that gardeners would not be willing to try growing something tropical(yes, I know there not technically tropical but most newbies think they are.) and rare when the price tags were always so darn high!

The first nursery that I saw offering them had them in 3 sizes. 1. 1 gal pots. These were $40. 2. These were 3ft-4ft trees in larger pots $59.99 and 3. These were trained into topiaries and around 3ft for $80!!!!! Now I understand that around here, citrus trees are more of a novelty item but DAMN, why can't the seller try and at least give the customer the right growing information!!!
I'm telling you all, if I followed the info on the tags, my trees would have been dead or close to dead within 2 weeks! To tell the grower to report your tree iinto a pot slightly larger tab what it was in is fine. I have no issue with that but to tell them to use any brand of potting soil!!! Really!!

Do you all see why I titled this post "This really makes my blood boil"! I had posted a while back that I had bought 2 Meyer lemon trees for $10. My intent was to give one away as a gift to a good friend of mine.She recently became engaged, and her fiance has been bit by the bug and has some nice plants. Anyhow, before I left after giving i to them, I explained how to take good care of it. I have to be honest, I almost removed the cheesy lemon shaped care tag on the tree because 3/4 of the info was bogus!

Now, how can these darn growers think that the customer is going to have any success when they are not giving the right info? Wouldn't you think that when the customer is buying them that the nursery could give them better info? I have only seen one, ONE, greenhouse that gives out a care sheet with information(front and back), that is correct.

I guess what really angers me is that if these local businesses cannot make citrus trees more affordable, AND provide the right cultural info for growing them, people won't want to give them a try! The only 2 greenhouses/garden centers that I found that had them at the beginning of summer, also had a lot of them that they put on clearance. Also, I have to say that one of them obviously had no clue on how to take care of them because half to three quarters of the clearance trees were in very bad shape.

What is really a bummer to me is that I would be willing to bet that both nurseries will not be carrying citrus next year because of poor sales. Now who is to blame for that? The customer because they bought a tree that came with poor cultural directions on it, and as a result they lost the tree, or is the nurseries fault for selling over priced trees, and also not bothering to check if the cultural info was right?

Am I just being overly sensitive about this or does anyone on the for um agree with me. I can't wait to get some responses!

Andrew

Comments (10)