SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

So heartbroken I called the sherriff

okwriter
15 years ago

Living in the country, we are used to people dumping trash and sometimes dumping animals. But this just broke my heart... DH came home from feeding cattle yesterday and told me someone had dumped trash a mile from us. Sadly, the person had also dumped a husky, who was laying on a blanket next to the trash, faithfully waiting for its owner to return.

DH looked through the trash and found the person's name and address. I called the number in the phone book for that person, but it was disconnected. I called the sherriff, and the dispatcher said someone had called about it the day before. "We sent a deputy out then...blah blah blah...there's nothing we can do...blah blah blah...nobody witnessed him dumping the dog..."

I just kept telling her it is breaking the law---dumping trash and abandoning an animal---and the fact that someone had called the previous day meant that dog had been there at least 24 hours! She said she would send someone out, but I felt very unsettled about it. Awhile later a deputy called me, and I could tell he was shaken. He said the dog was very clean and well behaved, obviously a house dog. Another deputy volunteered to take the dog home for the night to make sure it had foot and water, but they weren't sure if someone would keep it or if they could convince the city pound to take it. (In the country, we don't have "animal control.")

Deputy also said he would issue a warrant for illegal dumping and cruelty to animals. I could hear in his voice that he was mad at the jerk dumper. I thanked him profusely.

Isn't that the saddest thing? To just throw out your dog with your trash? People think dogs dumped in the country live happily ever after, chasing rabbits or being adopted by a nearby family. Truth is, most die from thirt or starvation or exposure to elements, or they are run over or shot. In this case, the dog may ultimately be euthanized, but at least that is humane. *sigh*

Comments (25)