SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

I Am Heartbroken

User
7 years ago

I am in shock and grief stricken as I type this.

At dinner time tonight, after a perfectly normal day, with no sign of sickness or stress, my sweet dog, Riley, whose face you see on my icon, collapsed on my kitchen floor.

She quickly righted herself, but stood unmoving with a dazed look. I called to her & when she didn't come I picked her up to take her outside for air. She usually fidgets when picked up but she was calm and just rested her head on my shoulder. I called upstairs to DH & told him to call our vet. Then I tried to calm myself and try to send positive energy and love from my heart to hers. After just a few minutes of stillness I heard her gasp and I had the sense that I was losing her.

But I wrapped her in a towel and cradled her and we rushed to the ER vet. I carried her in and they confirmed she was gone. As there had been no forewarning I asked if she might have come into contact with something that poisoned her. The vet said there would have been indications of that. She believes it was a massive heart event.

She and her brother, Puck, both would have turned 12 in Oct. They both were fit & our vet at the most recent checkup foresaw at least a few more good years. Puck has never been a day without her his entire life. He seems lost tonight.

I love them both but Riley was My dog. She was my constant companion over some very tough years. When I nursed my Mom through Alzheimer's, Riley provided me such comfort at the end of tough days. When I suffered through any illness or upheaval she would not leave my side.

I am both stunned and totally bereft. I'm not sure why I am writing this here except I know that many of you have suffered similar losses and can understand. Also, Puck & Riley have been included in some of my posts, so I feel that you also "know" her.

This is so hard.

The day I brought her home

Puck & Riley's greeting to GW's Linelle this spring.

Always a duo...

Comments (102)