SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veer_gw

"Rage! Blow! You Cataracts & Hurricanoes . . .

veer
10 years ago

drench our steeples drown our cocks" King Lear might have been mad but he recognised a good storm when he saw one.
As I write this the wind is howling down the chimneys, the rain is pouring . . . and it has been like this since Christmas. What have we done in Great Britain and Ireland to so anger the weather-gods?
Apparently this unusual storm pattern started last Autumn in the East Indies with floods, then moved across to North America where cold air dropped South giving you an unexpected arctic spell. Is it still with you? The cold air met warmer S Atlantic air, causing the Jet Stream to come much further South which is bringing us a seemingly never ending run of gales, rain and misery to the poor souls flooded out since the New Year. Rivers are at an all time high.
The good news is that is is not as cold as it was last year and nor do we have the 14 inches of snow my VA 'mountain-girl' cousin emailed me about last night. Four flakes and the UK comes to a standstill.
We have sandbags at the front of the house, the River Severn is still a mile away at the back and we are not forced to wade about in raw sewage as so many unfortunate folk have been doing for several weeks. And snowdrops and crocuses are already showing in the garden.

How is it for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC Storms and Flooding

Comments (22)